Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to come up with a specific animal pattern, a camel. I have checked all over and the ones that I can find are meant to be really large stuffed animals and I need something much smaller.
I thought perhaps I could graph it out on knitting graph paper and then knit it increasing appropriately or decreasing.
Anyone have any suggestions for doing this?

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

here is a program another Knit Paradisee sent me today...i tried it and it worked great...am including a pic of the sample i tried...

FYI...it is a free site but did have a space for donations...

i'm really excited about using it for a dinosaur that i just haven't been able to find...having the same problem you mentioned with your camels....hope it helps...

i did work the program twice...the first time it just didn't come up with anything but then when i went back and chose a different pic and tried again, it came up in about 30 seconds...don't forget to choose 'knitting' 'portrait or landscape' on the front page...our graphs are not like regular graphs...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for both suggestions.
I have seen the little camel, and it is too small for what I want ( I want to include it with a knit nativity)
I have in fact been to the Knit Pro site and did get my camel put into a graph. Actually did a one hump camel and a 2 hump ! Figured I could try both and see what works best.

I just wondered if anyone had made something that they could give me a general idea of what to watch for. For example, did you add a stitch or two on each end so that you would have a little extra to keep its shape when sewn together? Did you make a piece under the body? Or is it just 2 flat pieces from the graph and then just stitched?
Also just to verify that working from the chart you have to start with say the left side but for the second row you have to work starting on the right side.
I am open to suggestions....and advice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've just checked the site you used for your camel. It's a fantastic site for flat patterns (eg for the front of a sweater), but I think you'd have real trouble trying to knit a toy from it. Your camel will definitely need an underbelly piece. I'm wondering if you could find a pattern for a toy horse and adapt that according to the camel graph?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah now that is a good idea, as I do have a great pattern for a horse. I may also, try my hand at a cow. But, first need to get the nativity itself done.

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
ritchsgirl said:
ah now that is a good idea, as I do have a great pattern for a horse. I may also, try my hand at a cow. But, first need to get the nativity itself done.
A good way to create a knitted toy pattern for yourself is to use the templates for a sewn cloth soft toy and photocopy them onto knitter's graph paper. Hey Presto, you have a pattern.

Knitter's graph paper is available from craft stores and has rectangular 'squares' in the proportion of 3:4 so it will knit up properly. You could alternatively scan the templates in, then stretch them in an image manipulator like GIMP and print out on ordinary graph paper.

Hope that helps, it always works for me.

Dave

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
yes, I did about 9 years ago. The important thing to do is to be sure to use knitting graph paper and not your standard graph paper. I found a book in the library with it and just xeroxed it right there. Now I'm sure if you did a online search you'd probably be able to print it out. I used colored pencils to fill in the boxes. Since my design only entailed three colors it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take the large images pattern to a copy machine and reduce it to the size you require. Knit the parts of the camel according to the pattern pieces. you will enjoy doing this as you create your own pattern. You can use the original pattern as a guide aLso. HAVE FUN.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have actually used excel on my computer and made graph paper by manipulating the horizontal and vertical lines. Then taking a picture or drawing of what I wanted, copied/ printed onto the graph. That was the only way I could figure it out. This was long ago, maybe 15 or 20 years. It worked quite well. Ended knitting an afghan with the design.
Anyone want to see it, I do have a picture.

Judy - TX

·
Registered
239 Posts
What a lot of great ideas are emerging in response to your question! I love all the ideas about creating your own patterns. But if you're still looking for an actual pattern, rather than trying to create your own, you could go to: http://www.theretroknittingcompany.co.uk/toypatterns.html. These are vintage knitting patterns, and on page 4 there's a camel. (If the link doesn't work, just paste the address into your browser address bar.)

·
Registered
7,190 Posts
napernana said:
Thanks for that, supplies are pretty patchy in the craftshops, they much prefer to foist their own yarn suppliers tickertape designs on one. I'm a bit of a rebel, I like to create picture sweaters and items based on my own sketches and photos, not be chained to some soulless corporate machine's tastes and sense of style.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ibrow said:
What a lot of great ideas are emerging in response to your question! I love all the ideas about creating your own patterns. But if you're still looking for an actual pattern, rather than trying to create your own, you could go to: http://www.theretroknittingcompany.co.uk/toypatterns.html. These are vintage knitting patterns, and on page 4 there's a camel. (If the link doesn't work, just paste the address into your browser address bar.)
I am appreciative to everyone for their remarks and comments, all are helpful.
thank you for the link and I do actually have 2 of these patterns.
Bestway 931: is the cow, sheep and lamb pattern
Bestway 925: is the Golly and horse pattern

I thought perhaps I could modify them in some way to accomodate my needs.
However, I just also wondered if I might be able to design my own. Guess I will just have to wing it.
I do have the " knitting" graph paper so that is not an issue.
I found a tutorial of how you can make the graph paper in Microsoft Excel which works really good, now I just have to figure out the spacing and how to color.
Because knitting stitches are wider then they are tall, Knitting graph paper should accommodate this and the cells should be rectangular and not square.
Open excel and choose all the cells (by pressing Ctrl+A) and go to Format> Column> width, and change the width to 0.8, then color the borders black
Now you should have a spreadsheet that looks like knitting graph paper.
Pick a color you like and start filling in cells.

However, I do need to know...........do you read the chart left to right and then right to left??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Other way round. Right to left for the knit rows, and left to right for the purl. At least, that's what you do for the 'English' style of knitting. But I gather that many people in the US use a continental style, and I have no experience with that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom