Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to try this pattern to make for myself, I love it. However when searching for this scarf, there were a lot of comments it was very hard and some knitters gave up.

Have you made this scarf? If so, do you have any pointers or suggestions on how to get through this pattern without wanting to quit?

Your suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the pattern I was speaking of:

http://www.nikkiinstitches.com/top-10-countdown-1-a-hooded-scarf-the-new-little-black-dress/

Take care,
Kathy

·
Registered
871 Posts
I printed off the pattern and considered making it for my sister who asked me for one. But as I looked thru it, I got very confused and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to knit it. I've since begun another hooded scarf that seemed more simple to me. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lace--cable-hooded-scarf
I see now that it's not a free pattern--I thought it had been. But it's not too pricey either. I'm almost finished with the hood and will be starting the cabled scarf part by Labor day weekend. Hoping to get it to her by Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll go back and try the other pattern eventually. Maybe I should have just tried it. Oh well...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The pattern itself didn't look that bad. I think people are making comments about this being difficult to knit because it's above their ability to do so. A lot of new knitters think, oh this is cute I'll knit it. But they're at a beginner or an intermediate level and a pattern may be advanced level. I often had this happen to me. A pattern was too difficult and I put it away. A year or so later, I picked the project back up to complete it and had no problems. My skill level had improved during that time as I practiced new techniques. One advanced knitter I know said, Trust the pattern. Take it one row and one section at a time. That way you don't get overwhelmed by it. Try it and see. The worst thing that could happen is you'll find it's not for you, you'll rip it out, and do something else with the yarn. You're never going to know unless you try.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I had not seen this one, and it's absolutely beautiful. I love the cables and the hood fits so nicely on the model. Wish I had the time but will keep this pattern for later, on my "list of things" to do!

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
erm...When you said "little black dress"..I immediately thought of the pattern I made for our Chihuahua Channel...which I actually made LOL
Now I laugh as I check out the hooded scarf lol..

Oooh thanks a lot Jessica-Jean...NOW you post a direct to the link after I signed up for the site..
I really do appreciate you JJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
ksitter said:
Thanks, you give me hope. How long did it take you?
It took me about a week to knit,
I am going to make one for myself for next winter for our early morning walks with our dog the pockets will be great for my bits and pieces.
The only thing I will do different with mine, because I am tall, is to make the scarf about 4 pattern repeats longer.

·
Registered
432 Posts
bakerrose said:
I made this pattern. The hardest thing was to decrease 9 to make the point of the diamond. Otherwise this pattern turns out beautiful.
What I did to make this Purl 9 together easy was to use a crochet hook which I fed through the 9 stitches while they are still on the left needle and pulled the yarn through with that, putting the loop onto the rightside needle and slipping the 9 on the left needle, by the time I had done this 2 or 3 times it felt natural and way easier to do

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Smart cookie Ole Chook!

ole chook said:
bakerrose said:
I made this pattern. The hardest thing was to decrease 9 to make the point of the diamond. Otherwise this pattern turns out beautiful.
What I did to make this Purl 9 together easy was to use a crochet hook which I fed through the 9 stitches while they are still on the left needle and pulled the yarn through with that, putting the loop onto the rightside needle and slipping the 9 on the left needle, by the time I had done this 2 or 3 times it felt natural and way easier to do

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,247 Posts
ole chook said:
bakerrose said:
What a great idea!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom