Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23,697 Posts
I have not made this one. So many people have problems with Drops patterns. I find if you read the pattern over and highlight any thing that is different, figure this part out, and start knitting. This way you see the parts that say (in the mean time) do an additional part of the pattern. I hope this makes sense. I love their patterns and have made quite a few with no problem

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I haven't made this one but I've made many others. I agree with marilyngf, read, re-read and ask if you don't understand. Usually, Drops translations over specify in an effort to make things clear and that causes confusion.
Lovely cardigan. I'd go for it.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
salmonmac said:
I haven't made this one but I've made many others. I agree with marilyngf, read, re-read and ask if you don't understand. Usually, Drops translations over specify in an effort to make things clear and that causes confusion.
Lovely cardigan. I'd go for it.
My thoughts also. I have made several Drops patterns, just take your time to read and understand each section.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Pinkpaisley said:
I would love to knit this beautiful cardigan but reading some of the comments it seems the translation leaves a lot to be desired. I'd be most grateful to hear your remarks if you have made it successfully
I have not made this particular one but I knit this one http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5269&cid=17

Due to comments in general about drops pattern translations, I read through the pattern a few times and then pretty much rewrote it with terminology I understood better. In fact I plotted it out in excel. It was so much work that by the time I finished this jacket I hated it.

·
Registered
21,419 Posts
The usual suggestion on DROPS patterns is to separate out the instructions that apply to the size you are making and to make it easier to read. I've done a small sample of the smallest size. I hope it gives you an idea of how to simplify the text.

BODY:
Worked back and forth on circular needle.
Cast on 306sts (incl 8 band sts [button band] in each side of piece)
on circular needle size 3.5 mm with Karisma.
Work 2 ridges in GARTER ST - see explanation above
AT THE SAME TIME on last row inc 44 sts evenly = 350 sts.
Switch to circular needle size 4 mm.
Then working from RS, AT THE SAME TIME insert 2 markers and 0 strands in the piece as follows:
Work 8 band sts in garter st, A.2, (slip 5 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 5, K 5 from cable needle)
PATTERN 2 - see explanation above,
A.4 (slip 3 sts on cable needle behind piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), P 14,
A.5 (slip 3 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle, pattern 2,
A.4 (slip 3 sts on cable needle behind piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), P 0, insert 1 strand in size XL,
A.3 0 time, insert 1st marker, P 8,
A.3 0 time, insert 1 strand in size XL, P 0
A.5 (slip 3 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), pattern 2,

If you check the thread that Caesarteaser listed above, it will be even more clear. Just organize the cables in the order they are knit across the row.

Also, look at this Ravelry member's project and you will see that all those instructions just make a series of cables across the rows with increases for flare.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/dabuha01/158-1-morning-glory

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Wow; I love the look of both of these patterns listed. I have found the Drops pattern instructions to be "stilted" in a way, but not unmanageable. To do now know that when I choose one, I have to be patient enough with myself to slowly read the pattern in advance and picture it in my mind. I don't go to the next section until I feel I understand how that section if going to be knitted. They really do have some lovely patterns that are very distinct and if I am going to put in the time to knit an intricate piece, I want it to be unique and show-stopping. :)

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
I've made two Drops patterns and in each case I used Cut and Paste so I could have the pattern resemble what a "normal" pattern looks like (you know, line by line). Once I did that, I had to problem.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I have knitted one Drops pattern, Drops design 107-11, another cabled one, which I found quite straight forward, though the sleeve pattern just wasn't right. I pulled it back a couple of times,rewrote the pattern for the sleeve head, and now I love it.
I am currently crocheting Drops design Shining Star, another cardigan. This needed to be read, re-read and then read again, but I finally got it worked out. The instructions are a bit loose in translation me thinks.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I haven't tried any Drops patterns yet, but I have downloaded quite a few. I would wonder right away about the cast on in this pattern (incl. 8 band stitches in each side of piece). Does this mean the 306 includes the 8 band stitches or do you have to include these and have a total of 322 stitches. It doesn't become really clear until you get to the increase round where you are increasing 44 stitches and have a total of 350 stitches, that you realize it means these stitches are included in the 306. It is just how you read it. I always check after doing increases to make sure I have the correct number of stitches and try also to do it every 10 rows or so, as I have found sometimes when I don't do this I end up having to frog a lot more when all of a sudden I get to a spot where the stitches are required for a pattern and not just plain knitting and I have too many or too few. Hope I am making sense.

Just go slow and steady and you will have a beautiful sweater to wear.

jmcret05 said:
The usual suggestion on DROPS patterns is to separate out the instructions that apply to the size you are making and to make it easier to read. I've done a small sample of the smallest size. I hope it gives you an idea of how to simplify the text.

BODY:
Worked back and forth on circular needle.
Cast on 306sts (incl 8 band sts [button band] in each side of piece)
on circular needle size 3.5 mm with Karisma.
Work 2 ridges in GARTER ST - see explanation above
AT THE SAME TIME on last row inc 44 sts evenly = 350 sts.
Switch to circular needle size 4 mm.
Then working from RS, AT THE SAME TIME insert 2 markers and 0 strands in the piece as follows:
Work 8 band sts in garter st, A.2, (slip 5 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 5, K 5 from cable needle)
PATTERN 2 - see explanation above,
A.4 (slip 3 sts on cable needle behind piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), P 14,
A.5 (slip 3 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle, pattern 2,
A.4 (slip 3 sts on cable needle behind piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), P 0, insert 1 strand in size XL,
A.3 0 time, insert 1st marker, P 8,
A.3 0 time, insert 1 strand in size XL, P 0
A.5 (slip 3 sts on cable needle in front of piece, K 3, K 3 from cable needle), pattern 2,

If you check the thread that Caesarteaser listed above, it will be even more clear. Just organize the cables in the order they are knit across the row.

Also, look at this Ravelry member's project and you will see that all those instructions just make a series of cables across the rows with increases for flare.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/dabuha01/158-1-morning-glory

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I have this on my "do sooner rather than later" list :sm02: I have made one other Drops pattern, and it proved less difficult than I had thought it would be. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/161-1-blue-bird-song I read, and re-read the pattern several times, and highlighted all directions pertaining to the size I was making. I also printed out the pattern so that I could have the charts more easily accessible. I found that once I got through the setup rows, and had the cable and lace patterns established ( 1 or 2 repeats), it moved along rather smoothly. Enjoy this lovely project.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
dijewe said:
I have not made this particular one but I knit this one http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5269&cid=17

Due to comments in general about drops pattern translations, I read through the pattern a few times and then pretty much rewrote it with terminology I understood better. In fact I plotted it out in excel. It was so much work that by the time I finished this jacket I hated it.
I made this one, too and I loved it. It took me a few times to get it started right, but once I understood what they were saying, it went very smoothly. Now I love Drops patterns

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom