Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently won an auction on ebay. For some sock yarn from a company called Cherry Hill.
The yarn is called " Possum Sock", because it is 80% merino.wool, and 20% possum fur. Anyone have any experience with this yarn? How does it work up? After being made, does the knitted item have more or less of a tendency to shrink up than 100% merino?

Thanks for your opinions

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not sure how possum would wear as sock yarn, but have 3 wonderfully soft 8ply jumpers made and yarn for another. The possum/merino is so soft and washes well. A little pilling, but this always happens with a fluffy yarn. Love the definition it gives to rib and cables. So soft and light. Uses only 400gm for a full sized adult jumper with shawl collar. Love it.
The yarn I used was Touch from New Zealand

·
Registered
13,818 Posts
I haven't used the possum sock yet, but have made many pairs of socks with the 100% merino sock yarn from Cherry Hill. It is lovely quality, and I don't find they wear out faster than socks with nylon either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes they do kill the possum. There is an over population of possum in New Zealand, they are disstuctive to the environment and are like rats. They have found a way to use the soft fur. The possum in New Zealand are different than the possum we have in the US.

·
Registered
373 Posts
carrie927 said:
Yes they do kill the possum. There is an over population of possum in New Zealand, they are disstuctive to the environment and are like rats. They have found a way to use the soft fur. The possum in New Zealand are different than the possum we have in the US.
Well, that rules that yarn out for me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It is lovely, warm, soft yarn. If knitting socks you should add nylon in the heel/toe, or possibly whole foot. Should be hand washed & air dry. A couple yr. ago I discovered how they "harvest" it & some of the attraction to it vanished ...but have a pr. of manufactured socks made of possum ...at that time the only place I could find it ...LYS, only sold the socks, not yarn.

·
Registered
147 Posts
LMay said:
I had no idea there were so many vegetarians on KP! :)
I am not a vegetarian but I would not like the idea of possum yarn that is just me. From what I read the possum is an introduced pest to NZ and they claim it is responsible for depleting the area of the very rare Kea, NZ native parrot. The NZ possum is very cute, furry creature. It is unfortunate they have to cull this as a pest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My husband and I went on a cruise to New Zealand and visited Possum World in Napier. The possums were imported from England and are in abundance like the rabbits were in Australia. Since they are not native to New Zealand they have no predictors. The fur is combined with marino wool. I assume it would be some kind of spinning or rotating motion. The possums have thicker fur unlike the American possum. Is is very soft. I have three skeins of the yarn and can hardly wait to knit it up. My yarn is more like a DK weight and it will probably be a shawl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom