Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pattern that says to co 80 stitches for a finished size of 19". My head is 22". How many more stitches do you think I need to CO so the hat will fit? Thanks again

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
80 stitches for 19" would mean 4.2 stitches per inch. If you want it to be 22", you would multiply 22 by 4.2, which would be 92 stitches. You might need to adjust the number to accomodate the pattern repeat, and you'd also have to change the decreases. If you can post a link to the pattern, maybe I can figure out if that would be too tricky.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Johna said:
I have a pattern that says to co 80 stitches for a finished size of 19". My head is 22". How many more stitches do you think I need to CO so the hat will fit? Thanks again
If you make it 22" it may fall off - remember to account for the stretch. Have you done a swatch? You can see how much comfortable stretch a 4" swatch has and then gauge what size the hat should be.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Because I've knitted so man hats. with US 8 and not chunky yarn usually 92 stitches for a 22 inch head is perfect
for a little smaller 88 inches. For a man's head or 23 inches 96 inches. But most my heats are with 92 co stitches.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
8o stitches for a 19 inch hat means that you have 4.2 stitches per inch. For a 21 inch border, cast on 88 stitches. Remember the border needs to be tighter to allow for stretch. You do not want your hat to fall off. Be certain that your gauge with the yarn you are using is what the pattern calls for. Happy knitting!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Hat Size: Children 2-4 6-8 10-12 Adult 7 8 9
Head size-inches 16 ½ 18 19 ½ 21 22 ½ 24

Here is the info I saved with my stocking cap pattern for all sizes using worsted yarn, #5 needles for the ribbing and #7 for the body:

Preschool or small child CO 78 stitches
Child to average adult CO 84 stitches
Adult large CO 96 stitches
Adult extra large (size 8-9) CO 104

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Grandma M said:
Because I've knitted so man hats. with US 8 and not chunky yarn usually 92 stitches for a 22 inch head is perfect
for a little smaller 88 inches. For a man's head or 23 inches 96 inches. But most my heats are with 92 co stitches.
That's about what mine run also. I like to use a rib stitch on the whole hat so it hugs the head better. Technically, you're supposed to cast on for your head measurement. However, a hat knit like this will ride up and twist around on your head. It's very uncomfortable. It's best to make the hat 1-2 inches smaller than your head. Your knitted items will stretch out a little after being worn a while anyway.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Most sites suggest making a hat 1.5 to 2-inches smaller than your head circumference. I prefer to make mine 1-inch less. I personally think 2-inches is too tight but but 1.5 is OK if you want your hat to fit snugly. If your head measures 22, then your hat circumference should be somewhere from 20.5 to 21-inches. You will need to do a gauge swatch to find out exactly how many stitches you need to make the hat that circumference. If you knit your hat flat and seam it, add 2 stitches for selvedge for the seam.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom