Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I just had to share, in case I'm not the only one who's never heard of this! I'm a huge fan of Diana Sullivan on YouTube. She teaches machine knitting. But as I was watching tonight, I came across her yarn dying video...KOOL AID...who'd a thunk it? I HAVE to try this!!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Kool-Aid dying has been around for a long time, when done properly the results are fantastic...when not done properly...well, lets just say it's disappointing at best. I used to buy yarn at Chicago's Green City Market from a family that sold the most amazing wool yarn. Hand spun and Kool aid dyed. The colors held up even through felting...sure miss those folks.

·
Registered
24,561 Posts
I do Kool-Aid dying all the time. It's really great. However, it has to be done with a protein fiber (wool, hair, silk) or 100% nylon. Doesn't work at all with other fibers although you can get some interesting results on blends.

Oh, and when your piece gets wet, it will smell of the flavor you used to dye it with.

·
Registered
776 Posts
jkruse1971 said:
Hi everyone! I just had to share, in case I'm not the only one who's never heard of this! I'm a huge fan of Diana Sullivan on YouTube. She teaches machine knitting. But as I was watching tonight, I came across her yarn dying video...KOOL AID...who'd a thunk it? I HAVE to try this!!

can't get kool aid in UK so annoying

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Loistec said:
Okay, now I have to buy some Knit Picks bare yarn and some Kool-Aid, what could be better than some yarn I have dyed myself?
Excellent idea, thank you so much for sharing!
Lois
I believe KnitPicks has their own directions for dying yarn with Kool-aid, Easter egg dye, and food coloring. I'm not sure if I read it on their website or their catalog. Just checked and it's not in their catalog.

·
Registered
24,561 Posts
Trudy Pacos said:
Ok sounds like a good idea what is the formula. Like how much water hot or cold and the whole package etc.
Mix 1 package of Kool-Aid to about a cup of water (same temp as your wet fiber) for 1 oz of fiber (use more if you want a deeper shade). Add the dissolved Kool-Aid to enough water for your fiber to 'swim' in. You don't want it too tight. Stir, add the wet fiber, put on the heat and bring to a simmer...NOT boil. Occasionally turn yarn with plastic tongs, plastic or wooden spoons and keep on the heat until the water is clear. Turn off heat and let cool. Rinse, press out extra water and hang to dry.

If you knit up small items in a bare yarn, you can actually dye them in the microwave...put the wet item in a Kool-aid bath and microwave for 2 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. If water still retains color, nuke it for another 2 minutes. Repeat until water is clear, let cool, rinse, press out water, wrap in a towel to get out more water then block.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
jkruse1971 said:

On the knitpicks site they have instructions for dying yarn blanks with koolaid and with food coloring. I just ordered their knit blanks so I can do this with my granddaughters. They will choose their own colors and then we will together knit them their socks. The girls are very excited about doing this.

:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello. I have just looked up on "YOUTUBE" about dying yarns.
If you have the yarn you wish to dye - you can do it with food-
colouring. As I live in Kent, I go to a "FABRIC WAREHOUSE" and they do dye, but I am not too sure if it would be any good to you. Food dye - most probably can by in like any Supermarket
as they do it for cake making like? I am not too sure if that is
any help to you, but - I have tryed - well, it might work :) for you :thumbup: Keep up the good work - KNITTING, CROCHETING?? Have a very nice day - now what is left of the beautiful sunshiny day.

·
Registered
525 Posts
can't get kool aid in UK so annoying[/quote]

I just dyed some wool using food coloring, like for dyeing eggs, and it came out really nice! I washed a little bit of it in soapy water to make sure it didn't bleed and it didn't. I saw a video today on dyeing eggs using natural dyes, that may work on wool too! If your not sure just do a little sample. The natural dyes used onion skins, blueberries, red cabbage, and spinach. I've done tea dyeing before on cotton cloth it may work on wool too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom