Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my tablet looking for a certain yarn and noticed the bizarre pricing. It seems it's all over the place. Here is an example- lion brand mandala baby.

Amazon Echo Caves one ball $5.97 Acre Woods $8.82 honeydukes $9.51

Walmart Echo Caves $5.97 Pixie Hollow $22.07. Neverland $31.71 the last two were coming from another source but really???

Herrschners Echo Caves 5.99 Pixie Hallow $5.99. Neverland $5.99

Yarn connections Honeydukes $7.99

Michaels 3 pack only $22.xx

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UOTE="JennyG12, post: 16859655, member: 142265"]
Why we should practice comparison shopping.
I don't buy unless it is on sale.

My bargain hunting skills have improved when it now expands out into daily living items now.
[/QUOTE]

It's a good thing to be aware but tedious too. I've lived too close to the edge and have memorized what prices are at different stores around me for items like toilet paper, etc. But I"m glad your bargain hunting skills are improved, seems everything is going up.

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you add shipping costs it sometimes isn't really worth it. Thank goodness I can usually get by with my stash and I haven't even priced any yarns lately.
I'm about there now too, I just had to get a few specific items and now I'm done. Herrschners now has free shipping on orders $35 or over right now till 8/5 with code jingle22. And RHSS for 3.99 skein. Best deal I found.

· Registered
10,530 Posts
When looking for yarns for a specific project, I always check mutliple suppliers and factor in the price with shipping. Lots of times the cheaper price is offset by the higher cost of shipping. Luckily I am very good at Excel spreadsheets!

One of my go-to's is Wool and Company in Illinois. They have free shipping within the US with NO minimum order. I have actually just ordered one skein at a time and got very prompt delivery!

KnitPicks minimum is $65 but they have a nice chart to determine costs based on order amount and choice of shipping.
LoveCrafts minimum is $65 flat-rate shipping of just $5.95 on all other orders.

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I don't know about you but JoAnn sends me an email with coupons at least twice a day, every day. I also get ads for both my adult grandchildren so that's 6 per day. Online you can only use one coupon per order but in the store there is no limit as long as all the bar cades on the coupons are different. I don't bother with 40% off since 50 & 60 show up frequently. I have to figure in the cost of 2-3 gallons of gas so I haven't been there in a few months.

· Registered
872 Posts
I have been shopping at Joanns sale, with coupons. Handsome Fibers is good too.
Their prices are higher than Amazon but they stand behind their products. If there is a problem with their knitting needles they will replace it for free. They have a discount on orders over $100.00 and fast shipping for free for orders over a certain amount.

· Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your helpful hints. It"s nice to know there are other aware people out there. I did notice one thing when I was looking- yarnspirations now owns Phentex, Sugar and Cream, Peaches and Cream, Bernat, Caron, Coats and Clark's, and now Red Heart. Phentex used to be sold at Big Lots, I just used some old Baby yarn, and had some nice yarns. Now only two lines are available, no baby, no nice yarns. I think Bernat baby coordinates may be a thing of the past, website only carries 3 or 4 colors. Red Heart Classic is discontinued. It may be a fluke since I haven't shopped yarn in a while.

· Registered
48,379 Posts
I have been shopping at Joanns sale, with coupons. Handsome Fibers is good too.
Their prices are higher than Amazon but they stand behind their products. If there is a problem with their knitting needles they will replace it for free. They have a discount on orders over $100.00 and fast shipping for free for orders over a certain amount.

Handsome Fibers deserve a shout out. Their prices are good. Customer service is superb. They are my go to first, and usually last.

· Registered
9,834 Posts
Handsome Fibers deserve a shout out. Their prices are good. Customer service is superb. They are my go to first, and usually last.
I totally agree. My go to place first when needed. Although I have now purchased from them all that I think I would ever need. When you find a terrific and trustworth company, you tend to go back.

· Registered
10,530 Posts
Does Handsome Fibers sell yarn or just needles and accessories?

· Registered
17,717 Posts
I have just ordered some yarn from Germany- it was on sale with NO added costs for postage. Same yarn from a different source was a lot cheaper but $102.00 to get it here!!!

I order a lot from Knit Picks and Bendigo Woollen Mills, as their free shipping deals always twist my arm ...

· Registered
9,834 Posts
I have seen their price jump....whoa!
I just checked my receipts from 2019 and 2020, only a few cents (very small amount of increase and some decreases in price). The ChiaoGoo Regular Reds have stayed the same price since the time I bought them in 2019. The Zings went up a few cents.

Now yes, the required spending to get free shipping did go up abit. That is expected because of the constant price hikes in postage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top Bottom