Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I knitted a baby blanket for friends of mine, but I did it QUICK with no bells and whistles... The shower is on the 11th and was sent the invite this past Saturday. I knew it would be happening soon but....

Well anyway... I whipped up a 36x48 blanket but I did it on the diagonal. Easy, quick simple... I added a BIG butterfly to it to "pretty" it up (I had been told they were having boy and then I find out HER name will be Aliviah)...

So here's my problem.. I'm trying to embroider her initials onto the blanket, but I've never tried to embroider and all the videos show you on horizontal samples... I'm trying to put her initials on in the corner, but my stitches are not matching up and I've tried to "fake it" and it looks HORRIBLE and I don't know what to do next...

Would someone be able point me in the right direction please? I'm trying not to panic, but these are really great friends of my husband and I and I really want this to look pretty!! Especially since I needed to "girl" it up halfway through knitting it....

Thank you in advance for ANY help I can get.
Dani

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I make baby blankets for my local hospital, I sew on a label that I embroider onto first. I tried to embroider straight on to the wool, but it never looked right. Don't know if this will help you, :thumbup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've cross stitched on knitted fabric (as opposed to duplicate stitch) and been happy with the results. I would advise the use of a smaller gauge yarn for any embroidery on knitting so as to eliminate bulk. Hope this helps, happy knitting:) Lynn
Daniele1969 said:
So I knitted a baby blanket for friends of mine, but I did it QUICK with no bells and whistles... The shower is on the 11th and was sent the invite this past Saturday. I knew it would be happening soon but....

Well anyway... I whipped up a 36x48 blanket but I did it on the diagonal. Easy, quick simple... I added a BIG butterfly to it to "pretty" it up (I had been told they were having boy and then I find out HER name will be Aliviah)...

So here's my problem.. I'm trying to embroider her initials onto the blanket, but I've never tried to embroider and all the videos show you on horizontal samples... I'm trying to put her initials on in the corner, but my stitches are not matching up and I've tried to "fake it" and it looks HORRIBLE and I don't know what to do next...

Would someone be able point me in the right direction please? I'm trying not to panic, but these are really great friends of my husband and I and I really want this to look pretty!! Especially since I needed to "girl" it up halfway through knitting it....

Thank you in advance for ANY help I can get.
Dani

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would skip the initials--I think the butterfly is enough. What if they decide to change the name, (or it turns out to be a boy after all--some times those parts hide on the monitor).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DUPLICATE STITCH IS AWESOME!!!

Thank you SO MUCH Frogger!!!
It's simple and easy and I think I can make it look PRETTY!!

Just the words "cross stitch" scare me!! I am a TOTAL novice to using a tapestry needle.... And I have EXACTLY 2 weeks to get this done!!

And Diane 1025, the bows and ribbons are a GREAT idea to "girl" it up some more!! Thank you for that suggestion!!

I knew talking to all of you would help me fix this!!
Thank you so much for ALL the help!!

Off to try Duplicate Stitch!! Wish me luck...
Dani

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
countryknitwit said:
I would skip the initials--I think the butterfly is enough. What if they decide to change the name, (or it turns out to be a boy after all--some times those parts hide on the monitor).
Ack!!! I'm hoping the sonogram is correct!! They are set on the name. See, now I'm starting to panic again!!! Maybe I will skip the initials, but I wanted to add other embellishments... Maybe I'll use Duplicate Stitch to add other stuff to it... Maybe smaller butterflies or little lady bugs or little flowers...

I was able to add pink to the blanket, but there's this big chunk of baby blue and baby green in the middle.. I gotta do something in there. Planning on using purple for the initials/embellishments. And purple ribbon for the bows...

I hope it turns out well....sigh

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'll need all the luck I can get.. This blanket would've need PROPERLY months ago, but work has me DROWNING since March!!!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hi!
When I make a quilt as a gift, I like to add a label, usually with something like "Made for ____ with love by Kerrie" & sometimes I'll add a date. I use a piece of fabric that matches & then I do one of two things: 1. Embroider onto the fabric or 2. Use a fabric marker to write on the fabric. I then applique the fabric on (i.e. really, you just sew it on, but taking care that the edges are folded under so that nothing can fray).
Hope this helps... I've never tried it on anything knitted, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Can you post a picture? This way we can see it and give you our opinions!! I'm thinking it's great looking with the blue and green, and a butterfly, just because it's a girl it doesn't have to be all pink! of course, my opinion!!!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom