Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Maybe someone can help me. After the cast on row, when I start to knit I am okay until the last stitch. When I finish that stitch and start the next row, my last stitch always looks bad. It is too loose and this makes both sides of my project look bad. The main body of the knitting is all right, just my seams on the side look sloppy. Watching a YouTube video, someone said they always knit the last stitch backwards. How do I do this? She does it so fast in the video I have no clue how to even start!
Hopefully someone can help me as I want to make my kids a scarf for next winter, but want them to look nice.

· Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((( Send me the video, please and I'll view it and get back to you.

As the last sistch doesn't have a buddy knit next to it until you turn, it will be looser; zHere's what I do:

Turn.....snug up your working yarn
K1....snug it up again......just pull the working yarn down

Don't snug it too tight.......now return to normal tension.

Your last stitch, too at the end of BO will be loose until you cut, and loop the tail through the last loop......snug it up, too prior to weaving in the tail. Not too tight, of course. I stretch my BO/s out, too to sort of block them.

Donna Rae )))))))
quote=nenokku]Hello,

Maybe someone can help me. After the cast on row, when I start to knit I am okay until the last stitch. When I finish that stitch and start the next row, my last stitch always looks bad. It is too loose and this makes both sides of my project look bad. The main body of the knitting is all right, just my seams on the side look sloppy. Watching a YouTube video, someone said they always knit the last stitch backwards. How do I do this? She does it so fast in the video I have no clue how to even start!
Hopefully someone can help me as I want to make my kids a scarf for next winter, but want them to look nice.[/quote]

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I will try it tomorrow when I work on another project I have going right now. As for the video, I just went to YouTube and typed in knittingbyjudy and started with any video she had about the knit stitch.

· Registered
15,145 Posts
To knit a stitch backwards. Place needle through the front of the loop (from the right) and to the back (towards the left), yarn over and pull through. This tends to twist the stitch and make it tighter.

Lion Brand offers nice photo of stitch. "Insert the right needle into the back of the stitch from the front to back and continue to knit each stitch."

In a regular knit stitch you insert needle from behind the loop from the side facing you and through the loop towards the right.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Judy M! The way you put it makes it seem easier to do than watching it.

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
musicmomjv said:
I have looked at a lott of utube videos on knitting. I always fin that the ones by Judy are way too fast for me to always understand.
I completely agree! But she does give you a video of just about everything you need to see.

· Registered
11,389 Posts
I knit "eastern European" style..which is a butchered version of Continental. On single point needles I knit in the back of the stitch, but on dpn's or circulars I knit in the front of the front of the stitch....so for starting a row or ending a row...I do the opposite...I'll knit through the front loop on that first and last stitch and through the back loop for all the other Knit stiches on the needle..for some reason this works.

So you would probably have to do the opposite..Knit in the back of the stitch on the first and last stitch and the front for the rest of the stitches.

Wow this sounds way too confusing. I hope you get my drift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom