Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Durban is tropical, so no need for sweaters there. However there are numerous bazaars as there is a large indian population so you might find some yarn, but honestly don't hold your breath, I was generally quite disappointedv
In the general yarn available - lots of acrylics and wool/ merino is expensive. When are you going? So I can give you weather tips. :)

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I am originally from Johannesburg in South Africa but spent most of my childhood holidays in Durban and surrounding areas. The average temps around this time of year is about 75 degrees F, Nights are a little chillier.

There may be yarn stores in the suburbs, but Durban city itself is very geared to vacationers. Everything is really beach oriented the closer you get to the golden mile which is the beachfront. It is also a harbor so there are various mills ( mainly sugar etc)in the city. Then of course you have the Zulu culture and their fabulous beadwork.
Durban cuisine ranges from seafood to some of the hottest curries I have ever eaten!

Have a lovely time though and you never know, you may just stumble on a yarn store some where.

Last year, we went to Cape Town to visit some family and I hunted for yarn stores. I was so disappointed in the yarn that I found - acrylic and really hard acrylic too - when you knit it up, it's like a sheet of cardboard. I found this so odd as more inland in Cape province you have numerous merino sheep farmers - I think its mostly for export though. Sadly a lot of the best of South African goods are exported - the locals complain about this all the time.

Of course I could just be spoilt rotten with the choices of yarn we have in the USA.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dwernars said:
I am originally from Johannesburg in South Africa but spent most of my childhood holidays in Durban and surrounding areas. The average temps around this time of year is about 75 degrees F, Nights are a little chillier.

There may be yarn stores in the suburbs, but Durban city itself is very geared to vacationers. Everything is really beach oriented the closer you get to the golden mile which is the beachfront. It is also a harbor so there are various mills ( mainly sugar etc)in the city. Then of course you have the Zulu culture and their fabulous beadwork.
Durban cuisine ranges from seafood to some of the hottest curries I have ever eaten!

Have a lovely time though and you never know, you may just stumble on a yarn store some where.

Last year, we went to Cape Town to visit some family and I hunted for yarn stores. I was so disappointed in the yarn that I found - acrylic and really hard acrylic too - when you knit it up, it's like a sheet of cardboard. I found this so odd as more inland in Cape province you have numerous merino sheep farmers - I think its mostly for export though. Sadly a lot of the best of South African goods are exported - the locals complain about this all the time.

Of course I could just be spoilt rotten with the choices of yarn we have in the USA.
thanks so much for the info! i have seen a different take on temps, tho, from the weather channel (citing 85-90 F). i will definitely have a jacket just in case! bless you.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Durban is sub-tropical, dwernars, no disrespect intended. I lived in Durban for 35 years, in all that time I never even had a coat, never mind wore one, and I only ever owned one jersey (a knitted sweater or cardigan) at a time. I used to buy yarn (to knit for my children, even they did not need much) at a factory shop, but they had all closed down by the time I left. I mostly did thread crochet, I made tablecloths, bedspreads and lots of doilies. I made some beautiful cotton bibs with No 30 thread for my grandson. I doubt if you would find any yarn shops in the Central Business District, many of the stores had closed down before I left, and the pavements were taken over by informal traders. If you do venture into the CBD, don't wear any visible jewellery and don't carry a purse and hang on to your camera for dear life! Whatever you do, do not try to use a mini-bus taxi! There are huge shopping centers in the outlying suburbs, The Pavilion to the West of the city and my friends tell me there is also one towards the North Coast which is very nice. You will be sure to find yarn shops there. September and October are lovely months, before the sweltering heat and humidity of Summer hits! I was fortunate enough to have air conditioning in my bedroom, the rest of the rooms in the house had ceiling fans. Durban is a lovely place to visit, but like all South African cities today, just be very security conscious! If you want to know anything else, just PM me and I will be happy to answer your questions if I can.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
No disprespect taken - tropical, sub-tropical its all the same to me.

I try my best not to go on about how dangerous South Africa is even though it's constantly in the back of my mind as I have 3 sons and all my grand children who still live there.

I think its fine as long as you stick to the tourist areas but yes, definitely don't wear jewelry and if possible wear a bag across your body so its harder to snatch. In Johannesburg, you risk your life if you go out after dark on your own, I assume its the same in Durban.

Just this morning, I remarked to my son ( on Skype) that they have become so used to living their lives constantly looking over their shoulder so to speak that they don't realize how abnormal it is.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
One of my daughters was living in London, and the other one and her husband were also moving to the UK. We had a Service Station in Yellowwood Park and one morning when my husband went to open up, he was confronted with robbers. They assaulted him and left with all our takings from the previous day. We sold the business and made a big loss, so much so that we lost our house. My brother was working in Kuwait at the time and we were able to live in his house which we shared with his son. Not long after, my husband went for a walk and was held up at gunpoint, his wallet, watch and keys taken off him. That evening we decided enough, we would also move to the UK. We found it very strange at first, no burglar guards on the windows, no security gates on the doors. We were living in Grimsby, NE Lincolnshire. We came to England with 5 suitcases and a chest which came over by sea, and very little money. Believe it or not, we were burgled 3 times in less than a year, the few bits we had brought with us were taken and all of my jewellery and clothes among other things. The burglar was eventually caught by DNA, it turned out it was our neighbour! By then we had already made arrangements to move to the Wirral. I must say although I was very angry, at no time did I feel threatened, as I did in SA. England has been good to me, I have loved living here from day 1, I even love the weather!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone for all of your comments, however negative they are...i think that violence in every society has become normalized and that no place is any safer than any other. i will be cautious, but i will not, under any circumstances, walk in fear. i hope to find something fiber-like somewhere!

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Reyna said:
One of my daughters was living in London, and the other one and her husband were also moving to the UK. We had a Service Station in Yellowwood Park and one morning when my husband went to open up, he was confronted with robbers. They assaulted him and left with all our takings from the previous day. We sold the business and made a big loss, so much so that we lost our house. My brother was working in Kuwait at the time and we were able to live in his house which we shared with his son. Not long after, my husband went for a walk and was held up at gunpoint, his wallet, watch and keys taken off him. That evening we decided enough, we would also move to the UK. We found it very strange at first, no burglar guards on the windows, no security gates on the doors. We were living in Grimsby, NE Lincolnshire. We came to England with 5 suitcases and a chest which came over by sea, and very little money. Believe it or not, we were burgled 3 times in less than a year, the few bits we had brought with us were taken and all of my jewellery and clothes among other things. The burglar was eventually caught by DNA, it turned out it was our neighbour! By then we had already made arrangements to move to the Wirral. I must say although I was very angry, at no time did I feel threatened, as I did in SA. England has been good to me, I have loved living here from day 1, I even love the weather!!
I witnessed a lot too. So many neighbors had been attacked, some survived , others didn't. Our closest friends were murdered in front of their children. I moved to the US with my youngest 2, to pioneer the way for the rest of the family. That was 13 years ago. I was born and raised South African but I embraced my new life and despite the initial culture shock, I managed to assimilate. I love Texas and I love this country. I am becoming naturalized in a few months ( becoming a citizen). My youngest son returned to South Africa. It was supposed to be for a short while but he opted to stay there. Now that they are married and have children, it becomes more difficult for them to move as their wives have strong attachments to their parents. I have made peace with this though. My daughter grew up here and is at college now.

As for crime - well there is crime here, I see it on the news but its definitely not on the scale as back there and it doesn't have the racial undertones that we were always so aware of. I love visiting my kids. The country still has its beauty but I notice that a lot of that 'rainbow' is simply window dressing.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
elanaanderson said:
thank you everyone for all of your comments, however negative they are...i think that violence in every society has become normalized and that no place is any safer than any other. i will be cautious, but i will not, under any circumstances, walk in fear. i hope to find something fiber-like somewhere!
Oh, Elana, I am so sorry if I have been negative about your visit to Durban. I agree, you need not walk in fear. As long as you are cautious, you will have a wonderful time. There is a certain element of violence, but there are also amazing people, the majority are friendly and helpful, and many will go out of their way to be of assistance. I have a friend who has recently moved to a retirement village in the Pietermaritzburg area, but she has lived in Durban all her life. She crochets afghans for charity and I know she uses a lot of yarn. I will be calling her sometime today or tomorrow and I will ask her where she buys her yarn. Are you visiting friends? Do you know where you will be staying?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom