Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm James (Nomadicbear) I use to drive truck over the road I hurt my back about 6 years ago and have been retired ever since. I'm house-bound and I have been doing some crocheting a bit and playing World of Warcraft, kinda want something else to do and got my self a Martha Stewart knit n weave kit. Things are going OK so far just getting use to know the feel for warping the pegs casting on n stuff like that.
Whats the reason for taking the yarn and rolling it into a ball? I find the center of a skein of yarn and pull from there when I crochet and not had any problems. Do I need to roll this or can I just use it like it comes from the store?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Hi there
You do not have to roll your yarn into a ball.Some brands of yarn do not have a pull center and you have to pull your yarn from the outside of the ball,it rolls around all over the place,a bit of a nuicance.One of today's topics was using an old teapot for exactly that issue,put your yarn in the pot and thread theend thru the spout,your yarn stays neatly in one place.Also some brands of yarn have a pull center but when you pull it out it comes out in a big knot.
Some people just find it easier to rewind,it is your personal preferance.
Happy crocheting :D

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Glad to help,by the way welcome to the forum,there are a lot of wonderful people on here who are very knowledgeable about all kinds of topics.All you have to do is ask and you shall receive alot of wonderful advice.
Getting back to the topic of yarn,you can purchase a ball winder,I have one and I use it for yarn that is in a hank.Very useful tool.I find I am on this forum all the time,it's very addictive and fun :D

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Welcome from Omaha, NE. You're gonna love this site. There are lots if very talented men on KP. We don't know how many because some of them are shy.

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
Hi James and welcome from the Sunshine Coast, Qld. You will always have things to occupy yourself with on this site. It is very addictive and there is always someone ready to help if you need it.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Hey James, welcome to the forum from Southern California.

I usually wind my yarn in a ball, then put it into a gallon-sized baggie with zipper closure, which has just a small opening at one end from which the yarn's strand comes out. This way the yarn never get dirty and it's "flows" out ever so smoothly. But, you're the knitter, if you don't want to roll up the skein... it's fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom