Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My name is Diana and I live near Manchester, England, although I'm originally from Scotland. I'm 55 and have one son (married) and one grandson (5 months old). I started knitting as a child, and was mad keen on it when my son was young, but gradually lost the habit over the years.

I've been trying to get back into knitting for the last couple of years, but suffer from dermatitis on my fingers, which makes it painful. I've started several items but finished none of them. I find that I can't face sewing them together! Does anyone else feel like this?

I've been out of work for 8 years (used to work in IT). This seems a lovely, friendly forum. I'm really glad I found it :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
This may sound unusual to you but I have a question. Have you ever seen the movie called HIGHLANDER? The castle at the beginning of the movie belonged to my family. We are Scott-Irish I was told. My Da really did look like a Scottsman. But just the same welcome to THE STATES. I hope you will not miss home too much.

·
Registered
26,796 Posts
Hi Diana, I'm from Cleveland north East England.I joined this forum last week. I'm still finding my way around it. I've found it very friendly. there's nobody more friendly than the Americans, i go there every year so know this to be true. I have tried to find a UK knitting forum but nothing seems to come up to this standard. I don't suffer from a skin problem but find I can't knt with 100%acrylic. I get a rash. I wait until I have a few things to stitch up but only because I HATE doing it. Nearly as miuch as housework. I'm pleased you are trying knitting again. Could you not wear surgical rubber gloves or am I being ridiculous? susan x :roll:

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Hallo Diana and welcome to the forum. I joined up last week and I'm enjoying it too. I'm originally from London, England but came to Canada over 41 years ago after I married my husband.
I too think that sewing up the knitted garment is the worst thing of all to do!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
try knitting in the round then there is not so much sewing up.

google top down knits and you can get lots of patterns or go to this site for a very good pattern to fit many sizes that you can customise with your own patttern stitches.

//www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
In order to avoid seams, I just converted a drop shoulder sweater pattern. I pick up stitches around the armhole and knit down. What has to be calculated, is where to start decreases since the instructions are written in terms of cuff-up and increases. It can be done and then you just have to deal with a few ends.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Welcome Diana,

I am also new, about two weeks. My dad was born in Scotland and I have been trying to find some patterns for kilt stockings. Would you know of any place I might be able to find patterns?

Visited Scotland four years ago for a week. Would love to go back, lovely place and everyone one was so friendly.

Judy-TX

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have athritis in my fingers and wear compression gloves when I knit. They cover all but the very tips of my fingers.

I don't know how far up your fingers your condition goes so may not work for you. Here is a link to a pair so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00021XRIO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ITG3RM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FKSNCGV7T2748X1JR5R

or these which aren't as heat-generating:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N4EKKE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00264F3FU&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1B176SJESD96P55TY6M7

·
Registered
387 Posts
knittykitty said:
Welcome Diana,

I am also new, about two weeks. My dad was born in Scotland and I have been trying to find some patterns for kilt stockings. Would you know of any place I might be able to find patterns?

Visited Scotland four years ago for a week. Would love to go back, lovely place and everyone one was so friendly.

Judy-TX
try the google or purple kitty sites. sometimes all free crochet or all free knitting may have something you can use.

·
Registered
648 Posts
hi di i am trammy jane as u will see why if u look at my pic . i am from perth in scotland but have been in blackpool for 40+ years now and knit 24/7 if i am allowed to . friends and commitments do not always allow and as i am answering u here i am lying on my bed as it 1115pm and i am waiting for my friend in alaska to log on for our chat. where are u from manchester
there is 1 very good shop in preston might have ideas to protect ur hands ,they seem to have everything for crafting .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom