Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am from Rhode Island but I live in Georgia. Been here nearly 6 years. I love to crochet and I have a dilemma. I wonder if someone could tell me how to know which yarn to purchase when a pattern calls for 4-ply yarn. Is it sport weight or worsted weight. Some patterns call for a particular brand of yarn so how do I know what kind to get if I purchase a different brand?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All, I am new. I have to retain and learn new things to do while staying at home for several more months. I'm reteaching myself to crochet and I want to learn to knit things for Christmas presents for my children and their families (3 grandsons-human, 2 grandsons-canine...and I foster other dogs occasionally). I also have a 7 pound Miniature Pinsher looking baby girl who I want to dress up.

I'm looking for fun, while remaining as calm as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good asking someone in the store. I went to Michael's a couple of weeks ago and the lady in the yarn department knew less than I did. How did she get hired? I had to laugh. She didn't even know what brands they sell!!!! I guess I should go to the store, find the yarn called for and then compare to the brand I prefer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check the packaging on the yarn. It usually tells you the weight of the yarn. Comparing yarns is good too. If you can find the yarn called for and the yarn you want to use, pull a small amount from each skein. Double each one over itself, then wrap one loop over the other - well, maybe a picture would help. Pull taut and run your fingers from one to the other. You should be able to tell if they are about the same size. I read this somewhere or heard it on a knitting show.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
4 ply is generally worsted weight, each label tells you how many ply so you can switch brands and all will be well....remember to make that swatch and adjust needle size if you have to, then you can use anything you like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom