Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a baby blanket my first project..I made a mistake and have no idea how to fix it....I know it's an easy fix.

I'm ready to start my 18 row and my first stich didn't get stiched...I have the yarn on the 2nd stich and just a big loop on the 1st stich. How do I go back to stitch it. And loop the yarn around it.

Please help....Any tip would be great.....Thank you

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
That's not exactly an "easy" fix. If your blanket has a "pattern" to it you will be one stitch short.

You have 2 options...increase by one stitch somewhere (by the edge would be best) and when you are finished simply use the tail of your starting yarn to help weave the extra loop to the wrong side of the blanket....or rip it out and start over.

Only you can weigh which option suits you better. Will you be happy with the "fix" or will ripping out and starting over, set you back too far?

Little mistakes are rarely visible to others, but they seem to be glaring to us. I'm really a bit of a perfectionist and would probably rip it out, curse a little and then when the item was finished I'd be glad that I did it. That's just me though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us posted as to when you get this finished and send a picture. You have plenty of company who have ripped it out and started over. I have a sweater that I had to do this several times and now every time I wear it, I am so happy it was done without those little mistakes to haunt me!!

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
emclean, I have been knitting for over 47 yrs now. I cannot begin to tell you the number of times I have had to frog (rip-it, rip-it) my work. You are not alone. We have all had to do it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Humh. I have been knitting for something over 50 years. In my personal experience, I would comment that it is a rare project indeed that doesn't have a few "moments" of indecision of whether to start over, back up a row or two, or whatever. If you are only a row or two above the problem, rip it out to one row before the problem row, then take out the last row (the one with the problem) one stitch at a time keeping the work on the needles. If it isn't a very complicated pattern, and you have done only 18 rows, it would be my choice to simply rip it out and start over, chalking it up to "things I have learned to watch out for" and move on with your life.

·
Registered
429 Posts
One last thought--unless the pattern you are doing requires something special to take place at the edges, it is good basic knitting practice to slip the first stitch of every row either knitwise or purlwise as required to keep your pattern aligned. Work the last stitch on every row normally. This will give you a much more even, finished looking edge for your projects. The only time I would not do this is on a sleeve or body of a sweater or any other time where the edge will be hidden in a seam.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You don't say how far back the Loop appeared. If it is just the row below the one you're on, turn your work and knit or purl the loop to get it worked and back on the needle.
If the loop is from several rows below, you may have to pull your work out to that point. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Personally, I would rip it out and start over. I made a pair of socks with a pretty pattern once and had to rip the first one out 6 times and start over. I won best in show at the spinning and weaving booth at the Barnstable County Fair on Cape Cod with them so it was worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the rip it out I've ripped many times and am always happier with the finished project. I've sometimes tried to ignore the problem but wind up ripping it out so I'd suggest biting the bullet and either taking out a row or two or starting over depending where the problem is.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
An axiom my mother taught me from the beginning is “As ye sew, so shall ye rip.” And I have been doing so lo these many years. We all do it. It’s okay, only you and us will know. Looking forward to seeing the blankie. Cathryn

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think the frogging sent her running. You all are so right, everyone has and probably will again. But when you're new it is such a defeatist feeling, I've been there. But again, finishing properly is the best feeling!! I remember my first rip and do again, I was even more proud that I actually did it AND right.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom