Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((((Welcome! You should be able to pop a search:

knit chart how to read

......and get a long ways. Check also in LINKS here on forum. I'm sure I saw some of them come in the other day.

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~~
nid said:
Hi; I am new about knitting , and I love to knit.I want to know how to read chart.Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Charts are usually read from right to left, so backwards from the way you usually read a page in English. If you are using stockinette stitch, meaning your knitting on straight needles back and forth, then when you get to the end of row 1 ( usually the right side of your work) then row 2, the wrong side, is read from left to right. so, back and forth on the pattern. If you are knitting in the round, then the pattern is read from right to left throughout the work. I hope this helps paula

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is usually a symbol key that goes with the chart. The "o" is usually a yarn over...the "l\" is usually a knit two together, or some other type of decrease. But the symbol key will tell you their meaning. If there is no key with your chart, then google knitting chart symbols and you should be able to find. Also, the dot symbol means knit or pearl depending on if you are on the right or wrong side of the piece (confusing at first). I usually put an arrow on the left side of the chart to remind me that this is the wrong side and the "dot" symbols are reversed!
I hope this has not confused you too much and don't get discouraged, once you get used to this method, it is really easier to follow a pattern than the written ones!
Good Luck
Annette

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I'm directionally challenged (i.e., I'll turn north if you tell me to turn east). So, charted patterns are not a good option for me. If the pattern is only charted, I'll take the time to write out the directions before I tackle the project.

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
Me Too - I suppose, it will be come second nature after doing it a long time, but for now I like to write out the chart to be sureI understand it. I often add another "repeat" etc. and change the original pattern so have to keep that into consideration anyway. I'd like to learn to write out my variations and even chart them using Microsoft Word or Excel---the symbols are all there to use. I find that most shawl patterns use a chart so I've put off making any of those until my next project.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to use my glasses no matter what, so charts or writing seems OK. The only thing I hate about both is that if there are mini patterns to follow. Then you have to go from here to there. I have cut out the charts to place them all on one page. This works better than flipping through different pages to get to the written pattern for each little section. Charts are really great, once you get the hang of them. They also kind of show you the pattern you are aiming for in your knitting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey, i've seen your chart. i agree with the other assessment. one thing to learn about lace making is that usually you want your increases (yarn overs typically) to equal your decreases (knit two together or slip stitch knit) unless you are making a triangle or similar shape. Some people need written instructions versus the chart. i would tell you to continue using the chart if possible and take your time. it is not too difficult for you. paula

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Annette said:
There is usually a symbol key that goes with the chart. The "o" is usually a yarn over...the "l\" is usually a knit two together, or some other type of decrease. But the symbol key will tell you their meaning. If there is no key with your chart, then google knitting chart symbols and you should be able to find. Also, the dot symbol means knit or pearl depending on if you are on the right or wrong side of the piece (confusing at first). I usually put an arrow on the left side of the chart to remind me that this is the wrong side and the "dot" symbols are reversed!
I hope this has not confused you too much and don't get discouraged, once you get used to this method, it is really easier to follow a pattern than the written ones!
Good Luck
Annette
Thank you verymuch,It very helpful to me.Thank you again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Elaine Ohs said:
Hi,
Can you tell me what all those (((((((((( on your postings means?

Just wondering.

Elaine
I'm new to read chart and some time I see "no stitch" I don't know how to knit , in this picture I mark or small picture . It mean knit or purl. thank you.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom