Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am Cynthia, I have known how to knit since I was 7, that is about 40+ years, but I do not enjoy, I have a short attention span, and enjoy quick projects, I enjoy crocheting, I have done loom knitting; it was enjoyable and fast, Last year I purchase the Ultimate Sweater Machine, and absolution love it. I can make a sweater in 2 days. I am currently doing an intarsia sweater this is on the knitting machine. Would love to hear from other machine knitters. (or any crafter for that matter)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cool! Someone who has the hang of this machine. I got one for Christmas and don't think that I'll go back to hand knitting for a long time. I've been knitting, crocheting and cross stitching since I was a little girl, roughly 25+ years. But I am having trouble with a Bond pattern that I got off their website. I have emailed both Bond and Carron customer help and gotten no response. Maybe you could help? The pattern calls for a waist transition from 150 stitches down to 75. This leaves every other needle open. Not an issue in and of itself, however, the pattern then turns into a lace chart with open eyelets. My question is two fold: 1) do you leave the stitches as everyother needle? Or do you transfer all the stitches to be side by side? 2) I can't figure out how to read the lace chart. Very frustrating since I've been doing this so long. any resources I can Google that might help explain better??

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is the pattern name??? could you send the link so I can check out the pattern?

without knowing what the pattern says, I think you will be knitting two rows then following the pattern, but I wont be sure until i see the pattern.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is this the row you have issues with?

Shape Waist: K2tog across. 51 (59, 67, 75, 83) sts. If it is you need to move each stitch across eliminating the empty needles, if you have a garter bar or something like it just move the stitches to close up the gaps, if youonly have a normal transfer tool just move each stitch. or move stitches to a knitting needles and put them back on the machine making sure each needles gets 2 stitches so you end up with 51 (59, 67, 75, 83) needles with 2 stitches each on them. then knit 1 row. that is your decrease row,

then

K 1 R. Reset RC=000. reset counter to 0 (if you have a counter) and knit 1 row.

then

Bodice: Beg Eyelet patt from Chart. K 6 R.

the lace chart:
repeat pattern::: a series of 8 needles,
first row of pattern move needle 2 stitch to the adjacent needle on the left, stitch on needle 4 move to the left, )this leaves and empty needle on 4, move stitch on needle 7 and 8 to the left 1 needle then knit the row.

second row of patten knit

third row of pattern (k3tog) stitch to the left and right of needle 1 move to needle 1, move stitch on needle 3 to needle 2 move stitches on needle 7, 8, 9 over 1 needle each.

I will work this out but at first glance I think this is how you do it. This week end I will do a short video on this pattern, It looks pretty.the eyelets you are creating in the first row of the lace chart (i think) are the ones that the belt goes through.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that's where the pattern keeps falling apart. having the weighted bottom and changing from 150 to 75 stitches is extremely hard to do. The needles are bending under the strain of moving the yarn. then since the weight isn't evenely distributed, the ends tend to pop off and then the stitches quickly unravel. I'll take a look again tonight using your "spelled out" version of the pattern. It's not clicking with me yet but the work is also not in front of me. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are only move 1 stitch over 1 needle so you needles will have the set up of 2 stitch on 1 needle,next needle empty, 2 stitches on 1 needle, next needle empty. until the end. then you have to knit the row slowly, giving the machine time to grasp the yarn you may need extra weights, when you have transfered all the stitches give the work a gentle tug to set the stitches, before you knit the row, you must move ALL the stitches to fill in the empty one. At this point you are not creating eyelets, you are decreasing stitches. so each stitch has to be moved over prior to knitting the row, if you only have the transfer tool lots of work. I will post a photo of what I am talking about shortly.

the attached files may help you

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh, so consolidate all the stitches during the decrease row? That makes more sense and may be easier then how I was trying to do it. That would eliminate one issue. Now I just have to try my hand at reading the pattern again. I've ripped out my work 3 times. I'll start over again tonight for the 4th time and hopefully get farther than before.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi there, Im also the owner of the bond ultimate sweater machine. I've known how to knit with needles since i was probably 10 years old. My mother taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, needlepoint, craft painting, beading, etc. She's been past on now for 8 years and I miss her everyday. I miss being able to ask her questions about my projects. Even though I just discovered this site tonight, it sure does answer many of the questions i have. I have little or no patients for things that take a long time to do. I'm into the quick but pretty projects. I haven't worked with the machine a whole lot, but my next project will be socks. I only have a single bed so bigger projects that require more than 100 needles isnt something I can do. If you have any pattern sites for this machine other than the bond.com would you mind sharing them with me. I've made 2 baby sweaters that took me an afternoon to make. Problem is, i've nobody to give them to. Also made, many hats, headbands, and 1 adult sweater.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
baby things are always loved by hospitals, so many babies go out into the real world with no covering to speak of.

bugsmom said:
Hi there, Im also the owner of the bond ultimate sweater machine. I've known how to knit with needles since i was probably 10 years old. My mother taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, needlepoint, craft painting, beading, etc. She's been past on now for 8 years and I miss her everyday. I miss being able to ask her questions about my projects. Even though I just discovered this site tonight, it sure does answer many of the questions i have. I have little or no patients for things that take a long time to do. I'm into the quick but pretty projects. I haven't worked with the machine a whole lot, but my next project will be socks. I only have a single bed so bigger projects that require more than 100 needles isnt something I can do. If you have any pattern sites for this machine other than the bond.com would you mind sharing them with me. I've made 2 baby sweaters that took me an afternoon to make. Problem is, i've nobody to give them to. Also made, many hats, headbands, and 1 adult sweater.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ProudMama said:
WOW!!! That's super impressive! Hope I can do that someday.
Thank you, it is a lot easier on the machine that it was with needles. You only deal with 8 stitches, a bunch of needles holders (I use bobby pins)

Did you watch the video? It was fun doing.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I recognized your Ultimate Sweater Machine carriage in the photo. I have one too and used it a lot the first year I bought it. I haven't taken the time to learn to do intarsia on it yet. I'm usually sitting in my recliner listening to an audio book or watching TV while I knit and I can't do that with the sweater machine. I want to raise my table a foot to make it easier to stand at the machine. I can't lean over for very long to push the carriage and at 5'6" I'm too tall not to have to lean over a standard height table. I look forward to seeing photos of some of your work.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tallieu said:
I recognized your Ultimate Sweater Machine carriage in the photo. I have one too and used it a lot the first year I bought it. I haven't taken the time to learn to do intarsia on it yet. I'm usually sitting in my recliner listening to an audio book or watching TV while I knit and I can't do that with the sweater machine. I want to raise my table a foot to make it easier to stand at the machine. I can't lean over for very long to push the carriage and at 5'6" I'm too tall not to have to lean over a standard height table. I look forward to seeing photos of some of your work.
When I do intarsia now I use the intarsia keyplate

What I did for a table: I purchased 4 legs from a junk furniture store (1.00 each) then I purchased a piece of pressed wood shelving (un treated) then i covered the board with contact paper, and put the legs on. My dh thought it needed some support, so I had some shelf brackets (the kind you put the metal things into) I screwed that to the center of the board, The legs are like the legs on children's tables, that can raise to full height or down real low.

When I get internet on my other computer (it has most of my photos on it I will add a picture of the underneath of the table

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom