Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi; I'm Kate and I live in Tennessee. Don't know why my info says I'm in hiding. I subscribed to the newsletter a couple of weeks ago and have enjoyed it, but just discovered the forum. Mostly I've knitted and crocheted afghans, baby blankets, and homely things like potholders and dishcloths. And bags. Yes, bags. We love bags. I want to learn to knit socks. Had seen Silver's Sock Class online before but lost it, and was so happy to find the URL posted by somebody in response to another poster's query about learning to knit socks. Here's the link, in case anybody else might be interested. http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
Thanks for a great forum.
Kate

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Granny1; thanks for the welcome. I have a book, too, but it's as scary as double-points. So I think I'm going to try Silver's sock class before trying any of the beautiful sock patterns in the book. I'd love it if we could work together--great idea!
Kate

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum...socks are on my "bucket list" so I'll keep your link in my favorites and hope to get the nerve up and try them someday : )

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Welcome Kate. I'm also new to knitting, but on hold right now due to carpel tunnel problems. I love this website and meeting so many new people and seeing the beautiful work they are doing. Everyone is so kind and helpful. Judy

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
baglady1104 said:
Hi; I'm Kate and I live in Tennessee. Don't know why my info says I'm in hiding.

Hello Kate in Tennessee. Go to the top of the page and choose My Porfile
Scroll down to General Information
In the second row there is a box. Type in where you are from.
Choose update information and you will no longer be in hiding.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Hello Kate, I haven't been on this forum very long but have recieved lots of advice. I have never knitted socks only afgans. and I have so many neices and nephews who want afgans I wonder if I will ever get finished with them all. I am from Mississippi in the northeast part. Have a great day.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everybody for the warm welcome and good advice. I changed my profile, so now everybody can see where I live. Still haven't started a sock, but it appears I have plenty of company. lol Maybe we can all encourage each other until we lose our dpn fear enough to grab those needles and get started on a first pair of socks. Kittykatzmom, I sure am sorry to hear of your carpal tunnel problem, and hope it clears up quickly. I am so looking forward to getting to know all of you. Happy knitting.
Kate

·
Registered
678 Posts
Welcome Kate. Don't be afraid of doing socks. There is more than one way to do them. If you get frustrated there is a lot of help here. I personally do the toe up and on 5 needles. But, I found a secret? I will use point protectors to keep stitches from falling off. And I like to use bamboo needles for knitting socks. It is a personal preference. As You will see we are a varied group from all over the world. Originally Michigan but in Florida currently.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, ChocolatePom. What a great idea to use point protectors! Losing stitches is one of the things I've worried about. I tried knitting in the round with circular needles. Worked okay, but I really want to learn to use dpn's, and Silver's sock class suggests beginning with them. I was tickled when I started knitting with dpn's and it came out in stockinette stitch--with no purling!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom