Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the first time I have knitted a Christmas stocking with a design, but I am facing a direction I am not sure what to do. I just finished the top part of the stocking that she (ann norling) calls the hem. I am on a #5 needle. I know the main part of the stocking is a size 7. but I also see that somewhere I also use a double pointed 7. not sure which needle to use now, and how to do the next ro.
Here is what it says: (I will put my questions in ()
(join hem) fold work in half, wrong sides tog. (me:?) Place first loop of CO edge onto let needle (me: first loop?; left needle?) K2tog (the normal st & the loop from the CO edge) previous parenthesis not mine, but Ann's.. Con in this manner across row. Change to larger needel & P one row.
If you can help interpret this, thank you.. If you have read it but can't help , thanks for trying!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I am looking at Ann Norling Xmas sock pattern. Have made and sold so many when up north, I just sick and tired of doing.

Now as to your problem:Row 12 is the row that knits the cast on sts. (picked up with your left needle) to the sts. on your right needle. Knit the picked up st from the cast on and a st from your right needle tog. and continue to do this across the row.

This makes a double thickness cuff, with the picot at the top of the stocking. Look at photo to see this.

Changing to #7 needles P1R and start on the 15 rows for the border. This where I duplicate stitch the person's name in after the stocking is done.

If this doesn't help you, let me know, and I'll be happy to try to clarify the instructions.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Follow this link ( just tried it) and there is the exact Ann Norling pattern of the one you are using on the site for $5.00 ? web page? not sure what they call that.

Am sure they could help you.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
If there is a reason you don't want to do the hem at the top using the given directions you can always continue knitting and later sew the hem with a whip stitch and tapestry needle. I often do a special project with a picot edge and I think the hand sewn hem looks neater than knitted together. I leave a long tail for sewing when I cast on. It's another option.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I usually just make rib stitches (two knit, two purl) of the cast on stitches - about an inch or so. I have patterns that call for a "hem", but don't see any need to have one. You can just attach a crocheted loop for hanging the stocking after it's finished.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom