Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having the worst time tring to decide which size hat & sweater to make for our new grt-niece. She is 2 mos. old-I'd like to make something that she can wear, soon and then continue into the winter. Some patterns give inches only, some are 0-3mos (too small) and some say 3-6mos., but the dimensions are not consistent pattern to pattern. What to do? How do I decide? Thanks for any advice out there!

Vickie

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go by the age, because babies come in so many different sizes. I knew a woman who gave birth to 3 children, the first - a girl, weighed 8 pounds; the 2nd - a boy, weighed 10 pounds; and the 3rd - another boy, weighed 12 pounds at birth. Her sister gave birth to babies in the 6-7 pound range at birth.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/baby-size-chart

·
Registered
406 Posts
I would contact the mom and ask her to measure baby - hat circumference and over top of head from ear to ear for hat. Chest circumference under arms, from neck to hip, from back of neck to wrist crease, and use those dimensions for sweater. A raglan type sweater will fit a little longer, make sure the sleeves are not too tight, it is difficult to get baby's arm into it. This always worked for my grands....

I made one sweater for my daughter's friend when she was pregnant - probably a 6-12 months size because she had a big baby, and the little girl was still wearing it when she was 7-8 years old, it was just elbow length. My daughter had moved to another state, but when she told me that her friend has mentioned it, I thought about making another sweater, but with 10 grands and working, it just got lost in my memory until just now.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
vlsg56 said:
I am having the worst time tring to decide which size hat & sweater to make for our new grt-niece. She is 2 mos. old-I'd like to make something that she can wear, soon and then continue into the winter. Some patterns give inches only, some are 0-3mos (too small) and some say 3-6mos., but the dimensions are not consistent pattern to pattern. What to do? How do I decide? Thanks for any advice out there!

Vickie
I had a friend with 3 children when I had my first, and she did the most wonderful thing for me...she gave me baby gifts that were for a 2 yr old...mom will have dozens of new pcs that the baby will get to wear for a few weeks...but when she is 18 mos to 2 years...your gift will be a treasured memory of all mom's baby gifts and the larger sweater will last for a year...btw...any pattern that is all garter st will fit for another 6--12 mos. Elizabeth Zimmermann's 'tomten' sweater is a wonderfully wearable jacket, for that reason.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deemail said:
I had a friend with 3 children when I had my first, and she did the most wonderful thing for me...she gave me baby gifts that were for a 2 yr old...mom will have dozens of new pcs that the baby will get to wear for a few weeks...but when she is 18 mos to 2 years...your gift will be a treasured memory of all mom's baby gifts and the larger sweater will last for a year...btw...any pattern that is all garter st will fit for another 6--12 mos. Elizabeth Zimmermann's 'tomten' sweater is a wonderfully wearable jacket, for that reason.
Thanks; I'll check out her pattern.

Vickie

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
When I make clothes for infants I make a 3 -6 month size. Chest circumference 16 - 17 inches. I make the length if the sweater about 1 inch longer than the pattern, the same with the sleeves if they have a cuff. The baby will grow very quickly. The only sweater set I made for a newborn was for my 1st granddaughter. She wore it home from the hospital and one cool evening about a week later. Then it didn’t fit.

·
Registered
655 Posts
When my granddaughter was 2 months old, I gave her a Baby Yoda hat sized for a "6 mo old." It was WAY too small. I'm re-doing it sized for a "2 yr old." But now that I'm finally able to visit, I've measured her not quite 6 mo old head and found she is about a "1 yr old" size. The current plan is to finish it too large and then felt it a bit to meet the measurements. Or not.

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I like to make baby items but I rarely make a new born size I find 6 month plus fits them a bit longer.....i made a few hats for my grandson that was born in March he's last size will still fit for next winter ...they grow so fast

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Every baby in our family has huge heads. Long arms, wide shoulders. You might check with her mama. I always had to start at 6 months and up for sweaters, and even bigger for hats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom