Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish to crochet a Full-size afghan using a pattern out of the back of a stitch book.
The stitch is a "Treble Chevron" stitch and it is in Multiples of 8 sts. plus 1.
I must start with a multiple of 8 ch. plus 4 extra.
How do I determine how many chains I would need to start make to the size I want to cover the top of a full-size bed?
I'm a real "duh" when it comes to math, so forgive me! :oops:

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sherilee said:
go to newstitchaday.com - do a search and Johnny will show you how to do this...

You can also use youtube.com

Hope this helped...HAVE A NICE DAY
No, I strike out on BOTH accounts. Johnny @ New Stitcha Day has it listed that any questions will take them 6 weeks to get back to you and on You -tube they don't have anything related to that area.
Thanks anyway.....

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
marylo12 said:
I wish to crochet a Full-size afghan using a pattern out of the back of a stitch book.
The stitch is a "Treble Chevron" stitch and it is in Multiples of 8 sts. plus 1.
How do I determine how many chains I would need to start make to the size I want to cover the top of a full-size bed?
I'll try to help. First, measure your bed determine how many inches you will need; next by doing a swatch or use the gauge given by your pattern to figure how many inches you will get per the number of repeats of the pattern. Then use those measurements to decide on your size.
And, remember, a blanket, afghan, bed cover doesn't have to fit in the same way a garment does.

Hope this will at least steer you in the right direction.
Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
<http://www.knittingbrain.com/calculators.php>
This site will do the math for you---knit.
When I wanted to make a fullsize blankie, I crochet a chain with my yarn to go over the top of the bed with about 16" extra.
I then counted the sts and adjusted for my pattern, a simple ripple. I used a hand-held calculator to get the numbers right. It worked out O.K.
marylo12 said:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Another thing, too - you said at the beginning the pattern asked for a "multiple of 8 stitches plus 1" but then you go on to say you must start with a "multiple of 8 ch. plus 4 extra." Start with a Multiple of 8 stitches plus 1 as the pattern suggests.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Do a swatch with an easily divisible number of repeats. It helps with the calculations after. With something as large as a bedspread, I'd do at least 10 repeats as we tend to 'relax' if we repeat a stitch a fair number of times in one continuous run.

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jinkers said:
Another thing, too - you said at the beginning the pattern asked for a "multiple of 8 stitches plus 1" but then you go on to say you must start with a "multiple of 8 ch. plus 4 extra." Start with a Multiple of 8 stitches plus 1 as the pattern suggests.
That's what the pattern states: "Start with a multiple of 8 ch plus 4 extra."
I will start as you say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom