Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished the knitting part of this Bootie, but find that the instructions for assembly and finishing are vague.

The sole of the Bootie is sewn to the top, but the sole is much smaller and in sewing terms the top of Bootie needs to be eased into the sole.

How in the world can you do that attractively in knit?
Am I supposed to figure out a mattress stitch and ease the extra stitches in?
Am I supposed to just seam inside out?

The photos in the pattern don't really show the size difference between upper and sole.

This is the pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/slippers-two-colour-for-baby-0-3-3-6-6-9-month

I'm totally perplexed and appreciate all of your experience and knowledge.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Could you run a piece of yarn around the bottom edge of the top and gently pull to gather it in to fit the sole? In the past I have done this with booties or slippers. Perhaps you just need to do it in the toe area.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
knit4ES said:
Can you post a picture of the sole and the bottom of the top part so we can see the two pieces?
Here are two photos. The green is the sole and the pink is the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
LizR said:
Could you run a piece of yarn around the bottom edge of the top and gently pull to gather it in to fit the sole? In the past I have done this with booties or slippers. Perhaps you just need to do it in the toe area.
This would work well. You can even use waste yarn to gather the upper and the pull it out once the booties are seamed. It looks like it's really just to toe that needs to be eased into the sole and not so much the heel and sides.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If you look at the photo on Ravelry you can see the sole is slightly smaller. The top of the bootie reaches down to meet it. Not the sole reaching up to meet the bootie.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ease in the toe portion just as salmonmac says. The toe will be the part that is sort of gathered. Looking at the sole and the bootie, it almost appears as if they would match right up, is the bootie larger than the sole?

·
Registered
39,429 Posts
LizR said:
exactly! if it were made in fabric, a running thread would be used.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
I agree, and the point at the other end of the sole should be matched to the bottom of the back seam of the bootie. The sole appears to be a lot smaller than the top edge but if you measure around the shape of the sole it may be a lot closer than expected. Only a few stitches will need to be eased in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom