Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Still have my right arm in a sling from shoulder surgery but I'm getting restless so I thought I would try knitting some simple children's hats using my stash. I see lots of hats in finished projects here so I am pretty sure someone can tell me how many stitches to cast on for a 2 x 2 rib hat using #4 worsted weight acrylic and 5 or 5.5 mm needles. I am thinking about a size that would fit 6 to 11 year olds at the local elementary school. I can wing it from there. TIA.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Would looming a hat be easier on your shoulder? A children’s hat uses a smaller loom than the largest.
The Crochet Crowd (www.thecrochetcrowd.com) has something about looms on their site. A think it is going to be a new series of instructional videos?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am only two months out from triple repair on shoulder. Knitting is a no-no from the doc!!! so my Christmas gifts will have to wait until next year. Don't do more than they tell you. sometimes the repair cant be done again. Not worth it if you can never knit again.

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for everyone's concern but I have a cautious green light from my therapist. She said I could try and told me when to stop, and I agree. I have gone through too much now to screw it up so if it hurts or pulls, that's it for that idea. Thanks to NCAknitter and betsy10904 for the pattern links. I'm just not used to being idle, I don't watch TV and hours of reading is losing its charm. We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I broke my right shoulder and elbow a few years back. I kept my sling on and tucked lots of pillows under my arm to rest it on while I knitted. It worked well. No problems. Good luck with the healing.
My husband had to learn how to do my hair which is very long. He put it up in a bun for me every day. I was amazed how well he did it. ????

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
k1p1granny said:
I broke my right shoulder and elbow a few years back. I kept my sling on and tucked lots of pillows under my arm to rest it on while I knitted. It worked well. No problems. Good luck with the healing.
My husband had to learn how to do my hair which is very long. He put it up in a bun for me every day. I was amazed how well he did it. ????
My husband is dealing well with my long hair once he got the hang of it. Tonight he cooked his first roast chicken dinner and he aced it. I almost think he's enjoying being the boss of me lol
Thanks for the pillow hint. I can move my hand freely but I can see where taking the weight off would be good. I just want to do small simple knitting to change up my routine a bit.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Jazzynitter said:
Hi all. Still have my right arm in a sling from shoulder surgery but I'm getting restless so I thought I would try knitting some simple children's hats using my stash. I see lots of hats in finished projects here so I am pretty sure someone can tell me how many stitches to cast on for a 2 x 2 rib hat using #4 worsted weight acrylic and 5 or 5.5 mm needles. I am thinking about a size that would fit 6 to 11 year olds at the local elementary school. I can wing it from there. TIA.
Go to Bevs Country Cottage and check pattern called Bevs Basic Hat, her pattern is for preemie to men's sizes. It's worsted weight on 5mm needles.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
Jazzynitter said:
If you had rotator cuff surgery...do Not kniit or move that arm around unless you are at least 6 to 8 weeks post op.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
This is the basic hat pattern I use for all my hats.

Here is the basic pattern:
Using size 6 circular needle for the ribbing and 7 for the rest of the hat. cast on 64 (72) stitches join and work in knit1 purl 1 or knit 2 purl 2 for two inches. Go to size 7 needles and this point and knit until hat measures 7 inches from the beginning.

Decrease rows:
1st knit 7 knit two together, knit 7 knit two together and continue around decreasing in thus manner
2rd row no decreases
3rd row knit 6 knit 2 together, knit 6 knit 2 together
4th row no decreases
5th row knit 5 knit 2 together continue around row
6th row no decreases
7th row knit 4 knit 2 together continue around
8th row no decreases
9th row knit 3 knit 2 together continue around
10 row no decreases
11th row knit 2 knit 2 together continue around
12th row no decreases
13th row knit 1 knit 2 together continue around
14th row knit 2 together around
Finish by cutting the yarn and drawing through remaining stitches

*during decrease rows you will need switch to double pointed needles
** I used knitting worsted yarn

·
Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Teacher865 said:
This is the basic hat pattern I use for all my hats.

Here is the basic pattern:
Using size 6 circular needle for the ribbing and 7 for the rest of the hat. cast on 64 (72) stitches join and work in knit1 purl 1 or knit 2 purl 2 for two inches. Go to size 7 needles and this point and knit until hat measures 7 inches from the beginning.

Decrease rows:
1st knit 7 knit two together, knit 7 knit two together and continue around decreasing in thus manner
2rd row no decreases
3rd row knit 6 knit 2 together, knit 6 knit 2 together
4th row no decreases
5th row knit 5 knit 2 together continue around row
6th row no decreases
7th row knit 4 knit 2 together continue around
8th row no decreases
9th row knit 3 knit 2 together continue around
10 row no decreases
11th row knit 2 knit 2 together continue around
12th row no decreases
13th row knit 1 knit 2 together continue around
14th row knit 2 together around
Finish by cutting the yarn and drawing through remaining stitches

*during decrease rows you will need switch to double pointed needles
** I used knitting worsted yarn
Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me. Your help, along with that from other KPers will give me a variety of hats and sizes to choose from. You are all the best :sm24: :sm02:

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Ask your doctor of therapist first.

When my left shoulder was replace I tried knitting after a few weeks.
I could only do a few rows at a time. The therapist told me as long
as I only knit for short spurts of time it would do not harm.
I knit continental so there was not much movement of the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Might be a good time to learn Portuguese knitting technique. Lots of you tube videos. I keep telling myself next project I will learn this. Lol. Supposed to be way easier and less movement. Here's a link to Very Pink Knits video.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom