Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished making a 60inch shawl with HOMESPUN by LB--now it's time to do the fringe---(cut 4 pices of yard 13inch. each fold and attach to end etc),...this is the problem the yarn is not staying together so to speak, when i cut it into the 14 inch length the bottom is unraveling, and is all fuzzy, not staying together--how to remedy or what else can i use to trim the bottom? Help PLEASE!!!

Sandy 14

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Tie a small knot at the end of each piece of fringe. Unraveling is a problem with Homespun and knotting works best for me.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just had that problem about 2 weeks ago! But what I did was tie 2 strands together in a know, versus just a knot on each strand. I washed it, and it came out perfect! Didn't even have the strands get all tangled together. I know it's a pain to work with, but the finished product is so soft. Just remember---have patience!!!!!! Happy knitting!! :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've found with Homespun that knotting doesn't work either - it splits or fuzzes or whatever you want to call it between the knots and looks creepy. If I need to put something on a homespun project I knit tendrils, dredlocks or crochet 10 stitch loops.

·
Registered
405 Posts
LaurieJanesplace said:
I've found with Homespun that knotting doesn't work either - it splits or fuzzes or whatever you want to call it between the knots and looks creepy. If I need to put something on a homespun project I knit tendrils, dredlocks or crochet 10 stitch loops.
Mine frayed, too, but it looked really cool!!

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Yeah, well, I try to avoid fringe with Homespun. I usually try to crochet a border around whatever I'm making so I don't have to use fringe. You can spray it with hairspray to help or, as others have suggested, tie a knot.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I had a post last week on Alternate Edges for Homespun Prayer Shawls. Check it out--you might find something that would work for you.

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
This yarn is definitely going to fray if you use it for fringe. If you do want to use it, perhaps you can tie a knot in each piece of fringe. Tedious, but that'll keep it from unraveling or shredding.

Or you might want to pick up a color in the yarn, buy another brand of yarn (one ball), and use that for the fringe instead.

We had a whole discussion on Homespun on KP a while back. Seems that people either love it or hate it. I'm in the latter category.

Hazel

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Lion Brand has a "single loop fringe" pattern that works great! No cutting, knotting, fraying, etc.

Give it a look-see. It's easy but takes some practice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did call LB this morning and that's what they suggested too, I looked it up on their site and will give it a try although not to sure how it's done---guess i'll practice.thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom