Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need help I am making my husband a band using the seamans cap pattern, I just finished the font band and just about to start the left ear, I put it up to his head and it looks short, should I knit a few more rows before starting the other ear? Thank you,

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It is stretchy when completed. I would measure your husband’s head and then measure the headband while slightly stretched and then compare. My husband has a rather large head and the band fits him okay without adding extra rows.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PatriciaDF said:
It is stretchy when completed. I would measure your husband's head and then measure the headband while slightly stretched and then compare. My husband has a rather large head and the band fits him okay without adding extra rows.
I did its 23" (head) right now my knitting measures 13"and I have the other ear and half of the back to knit, which is approximately 7", which would bring it to 20" without stretching at all, so what do you think about maybe knitting a bit more, maybe an inch or so and then start the left ear?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Are you using the size needles and yarn called for in the pattern? My husband’s head is also 23”. I just measured a cap I made for him and stretched out it measures about 26”. And that was made according to the pattern. I did not add any rows. Garter stitches usually stretches quite a bit. You could add a couple of rows, but I personally wouldn’t add any more. You can always frog a few rows if it’s too big.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PatriciaDF said:
Are you using the size needles and yarn called for in the pattern? My husband's head is also 23". I just measured a cap I made for him and stretched out it measures about 26". And that was made according to the pattern. I did not add any rows. Garter stitches usually stretches quite a bit. You could add a couple of rows, but I personally wouldn't add any more. You can always frog a few rows if it's too big.
Thanks Patricia, I'm using 4.5mm needles and the yarn is - I love this Yarn from Hobby Lobby, a worsted weight. Thats what the pattern calls for. I think I will just put in a lifeline and continue knitting according to the pattern and if it's to short or tight I will take it apart. Thank you

·
Registered
235 Posts
I am using the 1898 hat band pattern for head bands for the family Christmas. First of all I like mine a litlle tight to "hug" the ears well. I've just finished my 28th one and they are a variety of sizes even tho I used the worsted yarn and same size needles for all of them. I think that if you follow the pattern there will be enough stretch to fit!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Does anyone have a good link to this hat pattern? I procrastinated too long and now the web site seems to be gone. I would appreciate it. We used to live in a very warm climate and have retired to a place with real winters. Lol.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom