Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have tried for years - honestly! - and can't come up with an acceptable mask for a Barbie "Witchie-poo" costume. I can't crochet, except for a simple chain stitch, so that's out. I've tried knitting, using yarn overs to make the eye hole, but when I put it on the doll and tie the strings in the back of her head - the holes go all ****** and look ridiculous. I've even tried the yarn over technique, then used a darning needle to sew the holes on all four sides so they stay open - this, too, looked very strange when the yarn was tied at the back of her head.

Everything I have tried over the year looks more like a "blindfold" instead of a black mask? Any ideas?

· Registered
10,064 Posts
i used Fimo....the plastic clay that bakes in your home oven temperatures...formed it to her face, used a toothpick to trim away the eyeholes and smooth the edges, then used the same toothpick to 'finish' the edges of the mask....almost done.....

removed it from her face but there was a bit of distortion...so....sprayed her face with Pam, the cooking spray, reapplied the mask, fixed all the little details and then this time it came away cleanly....made a dozen, baked them according to the instructions on the Fimo pkg...

when shaping, pull the sides back a bit to her temples and use the toothpick to mark and puncture a hole on each side....i used 1/16th in ribbon to tie them on after baking....some of mine had two holes on one side, one for the ribbon tie and one for feathers that stuck up and others for ribbons and beads that hung like streamers....

Fimo is great to work with, some of mine were all black, some with silver or gold 'studs' here and there...some with purple, green or orange 'jewels' applied....all Fimo sticks to itself really well, so if you can imagine it, you can cut it out and either apply or inset...i did both and they both work great...check your local craft store for the product if you have not seen it.....it comes in dozens of different colors and while soft, you can mix yourself if you need something else....good luck....

· Registered
21,278 Posts
Hi,
Try using toothpicks as needles to knit it.

I dress Barbies also. I would use embroidery floss or bedspead cotton.

Good luck
Linda

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom