Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting socks with Loops & Threads super fine yarn that had 2 breaks in it so far. A regular knot will be lumpy and uncomfortable. Does anyone know how to tie it without the lump, yet strong so that it won't come apart? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Don't tie it. Place the two threads together around 6 inches and knit with both - it will be nice and strong and just double thickness for a little way.
You could check other joins too Russian, plaiting etc.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Sweet sue is right... No knots... If you think the double thickness will bother you at all, look up the Russian join. It is great.

I sometimes just knit two stitches with the double yarn and then weave in the tails for 2-3 inches as I knit. If you weave in a couple directions, the ends are even less likely to work loose...

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
The Russian join will not hold well in fingering weight thread/yarn. There is not enough there to hold it. Do as another poster suggested - use doubled yarn for several stitches then weave in long ends. I had some sock yarn several years ago that had several bad breaks in it. My socks have not yet developed any holes.

Lynne

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
lneighbors3 said:
The Russian join will not hold well in fingering weight thread/yarn. There is not enough there to hold it. Do as another poster suggested - use doubled yarn for several stitches then weave in long ends. I had some sock yarn several years ago that had several bad breaks in it. My socks have not yet developed any holes.

Lynne
This is what I have come across also... fingering sock yarn is only 2 or 3 ply's at most and doesn't have enough to hold together.. if its wool you can wet your fingers and rub the two yarns together.. you would be felting them.. or just add the other yarn for several stitches like suggested.. its the easiest..

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
louise s-I agree-no knots. Treat it as though you are adding a new ball of yarn and hold both strands together. Knit about four stitches double stranded, then drop the end strand and continue knitting with the one strand. Weave the ends in when your finished knitting. Denise

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I take 3 inches of thread (ending of what is being used, and 3 inches of yarn from new skein, and a needle that thread will go into. I weave the old thread 3 inches into the new thread, then knit very carefully right along till it is used up and the new thread is all that is ahead. I find it works wonderfully and have NEVER had a problem.

Hope that advise helps somehow.

Vickey

louise s. said:
I am knitting socks with Loops & Threads super fine yarn that had 2 breaks in it so far. A regular knot will be lumpy and uncomfortable. Does anyone know how to tie it without the lump, yet strong so that it won't come apart? Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom