Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my brain is giving up as i cant get this to work. The pattern is a multiple of 8 sts but the description of the stitch is given with more - what am i missing?? Cast on with 112 stitches so that will give me 14 repeats of the 8 st? Its called Fluted Triangles from the Book : Knitting All Around Stitch Dictionary: 150 new stitch patterns to knit top down, bottom up, back and forth & in the round

R 21 : *k4, P4* to end
R 22 : K4 *p3, k5* to last 4 sts, k3, p4
R 23 : k4 *p2,k6* to last 4 sts, p2, k2
R 24 : k4, *p1, k7* to last 4 sts, k1, p4
R 25 : *p4, k4* to end
R 26: *p3, k5* to end
R 27 : *p2, k6* to end
R 28 : *p1, k7* to end

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rlhanlon said:
The instructions between * are repeated
For example, round 22 has a knit 4 then repeat p3 and k5 until the end. Then, at the end, P3 and K1.
thats what i thought too..... will try again....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Diane,
This is how I see the pattern

Row 1 K4 P4 14 X

Row 2 K4 * { p3 k5} 12 x end p3 k1

Row 3 K4 * { p2 k6 } 12 x end p2 k2

Row 4 K4 * {p1 k7] 12 x end p1 k3

Row 5 p4 k4 14 x

Row 6 p3 k5 14x

Row 7 p2 k6 14 x

Tow 8 p1 k7 14 x
from my reading of this it does work for the 112 stitches, I hope this helps you.

Jean

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cant get it to work. Casted on 116 as i want 2 border sts on each side = 4 sts done row 1 and i end up with 1 sts before my border stitches this pattern is jinxed!!! I get k2, 13 repeats and 5 sts before my k2 (border sts) triple check and i have 116 sts.... jinxed i tell you....

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
salmonmac said:
Do rows 22 and 24 really tell you to knit to the last 4 sts and then give you directions for more than 4sts (7 and 5sts respectively)?
yes....... i cant give you the book but here is a link to the page....https://books.google.co.za/books?id=y7i7CwAAQBAJ&pg=PT86&lpg=PT86&dq=FLUTED+TRIANGLES+KNITTING+STITCH+IN-THE-ROUND&source=bl&ots=GiKuqkQ94c&sig=qfrOn_ea7Y4CeIsBZSwM3KVKFh4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVxZfr1rvOAhXiAsAKHRWLBasQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=FLUTED%20TRIANGLES%20KNITTING%20STITCH%20IN-THE-ROUND&f=false i am doing it flat...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Thanks for the link.
Maybe placing markers for the repeats would help. Also, go back over the last row knit and count the sts to make sure you still have 116, then name the sts as you go over that row. That'll check that you haven't missed a knit or purl.
Nice pattern stitch which should work.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
salmonmac i have a headache already from counting lol gosh i cant believe this.... guess there is a first time for everything....

·
Registered
54,206 Posts
Other than rows 22 & 24 which expect you to work more than 4 stitches inter last 4 the others will all work. So if your problem is row 21 it's got to be your counting out.
The next row though will be interesting and need some thinking through what it is meant to say. But as I can't see the page or a picture don't know what it is meant to look like. But I suspect just continue the pattern until you run out of stitches on those two rows.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
markers is in place - 8 sts between each one..... still does not work. the math is right but the execution is not. i guess one must cast on to see what is happening..... i took back the book this morning but here is a pic of what the stitch looks like from the link that i quoted above...

removing those 4 sts that i added on and going back to 112 sts of which 4 sts are border stitches (ie 2 sts either side)

Attachments

·
Registered
54,206 Posts
Diane D said:
markers is in place - 8 sts between each one..... still does not work. the math is right but the execution is not. i guess one must cast on to see what is happening.....
I can't see how it works. The maths as you say fit (well almost!) but I can't see how it will turn out.
I've tried it on 16 stitches but just can't see how it will work. The knit 4 at the beginning of the first rows seems to throw things out right away.
The link doesn't open to a page. Can you either scan or take a photo of the picture at least so we know what it should look like?

Is it flat or in the round?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
im doing the flat version......

108 sts = 2 sts + 13 sets of 8 sts (104 sts) + 2

row 1 works out with this figure

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im doing the flat version...... correct it as given wrong in opening post....

R 21 : *k4, P4* to end
R 22 : p1 *k3, p5* to last 7 sts, k3, p4
R 23 : k4 *p2,k6* to last 4 sts, p2, k2
R 24 : p3, *k1, p7* to last 5 sts, k1, p4
R 25 : *p4, k4* to end
R 26: *p3, k5* to end
R 27 : *p2, k6* to end
R 28 : *p1, k7* to end

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ah i think i know what she was doing wrong and thats why it would not work..... light bulb moment!!!

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Diane D said:
im doing the flat version...... correct it as given wrong in opening post....
So... thanks my head was hurting trying to make sense of R22 and 24 ....

Have you charted it on graph paper? Sometimes that helps me a lot.... The other reason I do that is that I HATE patterns with repeats that are not set up for markers.
*p1, k3, p4* could be written for R22 and using markers would be so much easier, than trying to keep up with an offset

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
darowil said:
What was wrong? I've been trying to work it out.
oh dear why did i not think of it. She was repeating the p1 with it every time.... Row 1 and 2 works out on 112sts......

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom