Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused, I am to the part of shaping the mouth, and as I understood I would wrap and turn after each row. So I am donw with the one shape mouth, but am I suppose to knit so many before shaping the other side of the lip? The pattern doesn't really say. I feel like an idiot. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
MNJules said:
I am so confused, I am to the part of shaping the mouth, and as I understood I would wrap and turn after each row. So I am donw with the one shape mouth, but am I suppose to knit so many before shaping the other side of the lip? The pattern doesn't really say. I feel like an idiot. thanks for your help.
What pattern are you using? The one I am following has you knit across x number of stitches and then shape do the shaping again.
It says knit across ---stitches -and then repeat rows --- this gives the shape.

:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am using a pattern from Thema Egberts. It has different paragraphs for "Shape Body" Shape Lips...but never has to knit across so many. I have been trying to find another pattern to follow, and can't find one. If you wouldn't mind sharing I would appreciate it. We are taking our two grandson's fishing to SD this spring and I wanted to surprise them with these caps. Thanks

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
MNJules said:
I am using a pattern from Thema Egberts. It has different paragraphs for "Shape Body" Shape Lips...but never has to knit across so many. I have been trying to find another pattern to follow, and can't find one. If you wouldn't mind sharing I would appreciate it. We are taking our two grandson's fishing to SD this spring and I wanted to surprise them with these caps. Thanks
That is the same one I have. Look at the 'shape mouth' section, line 17 is K65,W&T --then you repeat lines 2 through 16 for the second shaping.
Hope this helps. I'm off now for church.
:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Lookup How to Work Short Rows and it will explain it.
You work the one side, then knit across and work the other side of the mouth.
When both sides are done you go back to knitting in the round.

·
Registered
31,218 Posts
I just finished the fins on my first fish hat. To shape the mouth I retyped the directions one line at a time:

Row 1, right side, knit 27, wrap and turn
Row 2, wrong side, purl 9, wrap and turn
Row 3, right side, knit 10, wrap and turn
Row 4, wrong side, purl 11, wrap and turn
Row 5, right side, knit 12, wrap and turn
Row 6, wrong side, purl 13, wrap and turn
Row 7, right side, knit 14. wrap and turn
Row 8, wrong side, purl 16, wrap and turn
Row 9, right side, knit 18, wrap and turn
Row 10, wrong side, purl 20, wrap and turn
Row 11, right side, knit 22, w & t
Row 12, w s, p 24, w & t
Row 13, r s, k 26, w & t
Row 14, w s, P 28, w & t
Row 15, r s, k 30, w & t
Row 16, w s, P 32, w & t the next row takes you to the other side of the mouth:
Row 17, K 65, w & t then repeat rows 2 through 16
The next row, right side, is knit around. Then you continue changing stripes as you wish and decreasing per the rest of the instructions.

When you make the tail and are ready to bind off the last 20 stitches, I found it is better to bind off 10 and work to the end, then bind off the last 10 so the yarn with which to sew the tail shut is in the middle. It makes a much neater seam.

Hope this helps. The hat is adorable. I made mine for a California boy in bright yellow, orange, and aqua cotton with hot pink lips and fins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom