Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Love this skye boat beret but the ribbing is loose and doesn’t hug the ears. Feels like it will blow off outdoors. I’m not eager to rip out the whole thing. Any suggestions as to how to shore the ribbing up a little so it feels more snug.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Beautiful hat!

I wonder how it would work to pick up stitches on the WS, I'm thinking thinner yarn and appropriate size needles, then knit a tighter rib and stitch it in place on the WS at the top of the existing rib. It would be a shame to lose the look of what you have I think.

I've done brims that start with rib then switch to stockinette, fold in half and join the edges before continuing with the rest of the hat. It's the same idea of having a different look on the RS and snug rib inside. Hope this makes some sort of sense.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beautiful hat!

I wonder how it would work to pick up stitches on the WS, I'm thinking thinner yarn and appropriate size needles, then knit a tighter rib and stitch it in place on the WS at the top of the existing rib. It would be a shame to lose the look of what you have I think.

I've done brims that start with rib then switch to stockinette, fold in half and join the edges before continuing with the rest of the hat. It's the same idea of having a different look on the RS and snug rib inside. Hope this makes some sort of sense.
That’s interesting. Like an inner tube.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
This is called knitting-in-elastic. I sometimes combine it with my yarn for cuffs.
I have sewn this into the inside of the bottom of my husbands jumper that was baggy. If you can find some of this it would work perfectly
Body jewelry Gesture Finger Thumb Pre-engagement ring

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is called knitting-in-elastic. I sometimes combine it with my yarn for cuffs.
I have sewn this into the inside of the bottom of my husbands jumper that was baggy. If you can find some of this it would work perfectly View attachment 1240591
I have sewn this into the inside of the bottom of my husbands jumper that was baggy. If you can find some of this it would work perfectly View attachment 1240591
ill need to go shopping and find some. How do I attach it?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I was going to suggest the same as Rose. It is definitely possible to take off the band and do the ribbing using a smaller needle. If you want to give this a try and want some help please send me a PM.

·
Registered
56,346 Posts
I've used elastic thread (about the same thickness as lace weight yarn) and woven it through the back of the stitches on the inside for several rows.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You could also do a mock smocking of the ribbing, just by running your same yarn thru some stitches and tying it off, kind of like a butterfly look.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Love this skye boat beret but the ribbing is loose and doesn’t hug the ears. Feels like it will blow off outdoors. I’m not eager to rip out the whole thing. Any suggestions as to how to shore the ribbing up a little so it feels more snug.
I have two ideas.

#1) Thread a very narrow elastic or elastic thread through the lower edge of the ribbing and pull it as tight as you like.

2) Pick up stitches around the bottom. Do one purl round to make a turning ridge. The work will bend toward the inside. Now make another hidden brim/border ribbing using thinner yarn or smaller needles, or fewer stitches or any combination of these to get the ribbing you want. You can turn it inside and tack it down and it won't show.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
I was going to suggest doing it again on smaller needles, just the band. It should help. Best wishes, Rose
That was my first thought. I think the hat is knit bottom up. (I’m not eager to rip out the whole thing.) Removing the bottom and knitting in the opposite direction will result in an offset, based on my experience. For things to align as intended I think reknitting the bottom and then grafting would work.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That was my first thought. I think the hat is knit bottom up. (I’m not eager to rip out the whole thing.) Removing the bottom and knitting in the opposite direction will result in an offset, based on my experience. For things to align as intended I think reknitting the bottom and then grafting would work.
Oy!!! How to remove bottom when it’s knit bottom up. Sounds dangerous.

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
Oy!!! How to remove bottom when it’s knit bottom up. Sounds dangerous.
With a lifeline above the last row to be removed, cut the yarn and start removing it. Knit the rib with smaller needles then graft the pieces together. Scary but highly doable. This video shows two lifelines but in this case only one would be needed.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With a lifeline above the last row to be removed, cut the yarn and start removing it. Knit the rib with smaller needles then graft the pieces together. Scary but highly doable. This video shows two lifelines but in this case only one would be needed.
Thank you for explanation and video. I’ll make time to watch it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top Bottom