Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AS I'm a resonably new sock knitter can someone please explain how to do basket weave pattern for socks on DPNS. I found one where you knit straight for the leg but it needs sewing up when sock is finished. Can someone out there help please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
The ones I made with basket weave legs were worked over 64 stitches-32 on first needle, 32 on 2nd needle, (magic loop). Knit 4 purl 4 all the way around for 4 rows, then purl 4 knit 4 for 4 rows. Repeat til done with leg. Works for toe up or cuff down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,232 Posts
I'm confused (easily done for me) .... if you are using DPN's you are knitting in the round? So, how does that shift to knitting "straight" (does that mean flat), and thus require sewing?
Maybe give us the pattern link? Even if it is a paid pattern, a lot can be deciphered from looking at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,963 Posts
Marcelley said:
AS I'm a resonably new sock knitter can someone please explain how to do basket weave pattern for socks on DPNS. I found one where you knit straight for the leg but it needs sewing up when sock is finished. Can someone out there help please.
Not sure which stitch count you are using, but basically the basket weave stitch is blocks of stocking stitch and reverse stocking stitch. So, you would make, for example, 64 sts: four stitches knit, four stitches purl, four stitches knit, four stitches purl around, and do that for five rounds. Then, switch, and do four stitches purl, four stitches knit, four purl, four knit, etc. around, for five rounds. Then, switch back.... continue for the length you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,556 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to thank everyone who helped me regarding Basket Weave stitch, the feedback from all the experienced knitters is invaluable. I read all feedback and understand it now. Thank you all, cannot wait to give it a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,556 Posts
Marcelley said:
Just to thank everyone who helped me regarding Basket Weave stitch, the feedback from all the experienced knitters is invaluable. I read all feedback and understand it now. Thank you all, cannot wait to give it a try.
I see that you're new here so maybe you don't know, but it's customary to share the pattern information if you have a pattern so that everyone will know what you're talking about.

Others, who may be interested in solving the same problem you had, may be following this thread and would be interested in knowing how you were helped - - something much easier to understand when there's a pattern to look at or some instructions to read over.
__________
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KroSha said:
I see that you're new here so maybe you don't know, but it's customary to share the pattern information if you have a pattern so that everyone will know what you're talking about.

Others, who may be interested in solving the same problem you had, may be following this thread and would be interested in knowing how you were helped - - something much easier to understand when there's a pattern to look at or some instructions to read over.
__________
The pattern that I didn't understand is called Full of Beans (And Sausages) Basket weave socks. I didn't deliberately omit this information, I just wanted some general advice and apologize if I have offended anybody, once again thanks to all those who offered help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,556 Posts
Marcelley said:
The pattern that I didn't understand is called Full of Beans (And Sausages) Basket weave socks. I didn't deliberately omit this information, I just wanted some general advice and apologize if I have offended anybody, once again thanks to all those who offered help.
You haven't offended anyone, it's just that more information is always better than less.

Here is the link to the free instructions for Marcelley's project pattern. The basket weave design is a little different than most, so I have posted the images as well:

http://www.fullofbeansandsausages.com/knitting-basket-weave-socks-a-free-pattern/
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,298 Posts
sritchie171 said:
The ones I made with basket weave legs were worked over 64 stitches-32 on first needle, 32 on 2nd needle, (magic loop). Knit 4 purl 4 all the way around for 4 rows, then purl 4 knit 4 for 4 rows. Repeat til done with leg. Works for toe up or cuff down.
Me too... but in rounds...
so easy to call it rows when we really mean rounds. Once the first 4 rounds are done... switch the k's to p's and the p's to k's for 4 rounds. Repeat as often as needed to reach the length of the leg you wish to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,084 Posts
What the pattern is telling you is to co your 57 sts on straight needles, work your k2 p2 rib 7x & knit your basket weave cuff rows 1-8 5x, slip your stitches to dpns & join in the round.
At the very end of your sock you will sew up the cuff area.
Very strange pattern that doesn't start in the round at the start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,556 Posts
klrober said:
What the pattern is telling you is to co your 57 sts on straight needles, work your k2 p2 rib 7x & knit your basket weave cuff rows 1-8 5x, slip your stitches to dpns & join in the round.
At the very end of your sock you will sew up the cuff area.
Very strange pattern that doesn't start in the round at the start.
True, it's odd.

But fairly easy to convert, although likely not so simple for a newbie knitter !!!
__________
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom