Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charts I can read. Especially when there are explanations. But for this one, no explanation is given. And I know that they do change, depending who wrote the pattern.

For some reason, I cannot get the file to attach. The charts are on Page 6.

Any help any of you can give me will be most greatly appreciated. I have looked in the glossary of patterns I have, and can see the cables, but not the stitch diagrammed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
52,643 Posts
stitcherann said:
That is the pattern. the chart is Page 6. And I can find no description of the Cable Pattern. Also; what is to be done with/to the blank spaces in the Cabled Argyle Pattern? No explanation that I could find.

Thanks.
It doesn't seem right to me.
https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/knit-chart-symbols indicates that the slanted stockinette columns have a SSP and SSK on each side! with no increases. I think that you should be increasing one side of the column and decreasing the other-depending on which way the column is to slant. So my reading is you decrease 4 times every row with no corresponding increase.

The cables are C6B and C6F which looking at the charts and photos is put 3 stitches onto cable needle and put to back (or front) of work and then knit 3, then the 3 from the cable needle.
The cable at the top of the diamonds is over 7 stitches so I would try slip 3 stitches to cable needle, knit 4 then the 3 from the cable needle. Or you could work k3, purl 1, knit the 3 from the cable needle. This would keep the middle stitch as a purl stitch (but it really won't show if it was easier to just k all 4 stitches).
Is this what you wanted to know? But all those details should have been provided in the pattern! Especially as she doesn't seem to have followed the Yarn Councils symbols-unless I read them wrong.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
The explanation for the cables are at the start of the pattern - so the row 3 cable is C6B, which means slip 3 onto a cable needle and hold to the back, knit 3, then k3 from the cable needle.
Row 7 is similar, but the stitches are held to the front.

The argyle cables are more of a challenge - they look like 3 stitches travelling so I think there will be 3 knit sts that will swap with 2 purl sts, depending what direction it is travelling in.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Hilary4 has explained this correctly.
Do what she says.

To answer your question about the blank spaces in the large chart, they are not blank, notice there is a cable mark at both sides. Hikary4 had also explained this.

Your question about the argyle: the legend says dot for purl, blank for knit. Therefore the argyle stitches are knit. The pattern states they have been printed in red for clarity; notice while red, they are also blank.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
k1p1granny said:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a270cab8a02c79e3070dd9d/t/5aa1a8d4e4966b835864375b/1520543966702/Corin.pdf

Is this what you want?
This looks like a sweater I made for my baby sister back in the 60's. I almost threw the whole thing in the trash before I was able to get the pattern in my head.
:sm01:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your help. The more I think about this pattern, the more I don't think it will work with the yarn I have. The idea is good; my intentions are good, but it may wind up like that one Butterfly1943 did; undone, and trashed ( or almost trashed). And the yarn is too pretty for that end. Pllymouth Yarn "Hot Cakes", long colorways with dark charcoal, magenta, light grey, medium grey, and winter white. Its a blend of acrylic, and wool, machine washable. gauge -- and I am making it -- is 5 sts/inch on a US 8 needle.

Back to the books. I have 104 sts on the cable needle started for the back, 3" done so far. So, it will wait for a while.
thanks again to all of you.

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
stitcherann said:
Charts I can read. Especially when there are explanations. But for this one, no explanation is given. And I know that they do change, depending who wrote the pattern.

For some reason, I cannot get the file to attach. The charts are on Page 6.

Any help any of you can give me will be most greatly appreciated. I have looked in the glossary of patterns I have, and can see the cables, but not the stitch diagrammed.

Thanks.
The cable pattern is written out on first page, so you can make note of the symbols in the chart.
The red boxes in the center Argyle stitches are knit stitches...not meant to be worked in second color.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The argyle pattern I could read; it was the diagonal lines and the connected right-angle ones that are not clear.

Where can I find what I thought was a universal knitting symbol chart? That would really help.

·
Registered
52,643 Posts
stitcherann said:
Thank you all for your help. The more I think about this pattern, the more I don't think it will work with the yarn I have. The idea is good; my intentions are good, but it may wind up like that one Butterfly1943 did; undone, and trashed ( or almost trashed). And the yarn is too pretty for that end. Pllymouth Yarn "Hot Cakes", long colorways with dark charcoal, magenta, light grey, medium grey, and winter white. Its a blend of acrylic, and wool, machine washable. gauge -- and I am making it -- is 5 sts/inch on a US 8 needle.

Back to the books. I have 104 sts on the cable needle started for the back, 3" done so far. So, it will wait for a while.
thanks again to all of you.
I wonder as well if they might have been too much going on with the pattern and the colour changes. I would be inclined to look for a simpler cable pattern, maybe just a couple of rows like this one but without the middle diamonds. Remember as well that the black charcoal sections won't show much of the worked pattern either, and depending on darkness the medium gray may not either. The colours sound lovely

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
darowil said:
I wonder as well if they might have been too much going on with the pattern and the colour changes. I would be inclined to look for a simpler cable pattern, maybe just a couple of rows like this one but without the middle diamonds. Remember as well that the black charcoal sections won't show much of the worked pattern either, and depending on darkness the medium gray may not either. The colours sound lovely
There are no color changes. The red is just for clarity, not color change. Look at the picture of the sweater, all one color.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the yarn I am using is long sections of color ( 2" ) before it changes. He picked it out, but I'm using the sweater for the raglan sleeve patterns. That pattern I will make in a solid color yarn --- some day.....................

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom