Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm making a headband for my granddaughter with a rose, and I'm having trouble understanding this instruction:

*chain 5, sc around next db*

When I do this, I have completed a circle of double crochet stitches around a center when I begin this row.

I understand chain and I understand sc (single crochet). I've assumed that "db" is their abbreviation for a double crochet. But how do you sc around a db?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fergablu2 said:
Double crochet is abbreviated as "dc". Do you have a link to the pattern?
I know it was a free pattern that I saved from the internet, but I cannot find the source now. However, if you'll pm me your email address, could I just attach the pattern and send it to you?

I always thought double crochet was "dc" too, but this pattern doesn't have any "dc" and it has a lot of "db", so I assume they mean double crochet. Not sure.

Thanks for offer to help. This should be an easy pattern, if I can just figure out the one instruction.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
the DC looks like a little post -- instead of crocheting into the top as you would if doing rows -- put your hook in to the right of the post and back out on the left -- work your stitch around this "DC post" anchoring your chain so it makes a loop.

Take Joy,

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
elsiemarley said:
the DC looks like a little post -- instead of crocheting into the top as you would if doing rows -- put your hook in to the right of the post and back out on the left -- work your stitch around this "DC post" anchoring your chain so it makes a loop.

Take Joy,
That makes sense too. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
I just did what I advise everyone else to do, and Googled crochet db and got a lot of responses showing db being used to mean double crochet. Frustrating. Then there is the pond problem where UK double = US single and US treble = UK double.
I wonder how anyone gets anything done with so many different nomenclatures in use.
Grouse, grouse, whine, whine.
Nancyannin, I wish you luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom