Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I came across this pattern recently (on KP I think) and thought it looked easy. It has a written pattern and a graph, but I can't get them to match.

I cant get past the first row, but would really like to make it, so don't want to give up so easily. It says beginner friendly.

https://www.anniedesigncrochet.com/2020/05/22/crochet-summer-shawl-pattern/

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
The directions and the chart say/show the same thing. Its a little fuzzy because of the way its written.
Begin, ch4, in 4th ch from hook make shell, Ch1, and then 1 Tc all in the same stitch. Turn. Row 2.
I hope this is a clearer explanation for row 1.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woolywoman said:
The directions and the chart say/show the same thing. Its a little fuzzy because of the way its written.
Begin, ch4, in 4th ch from hook make shell, Ch1, and then 1 Tc all in the same stitch. Turn. Row 2.
I hope this is a clearer explanation for row 1.
Thanks Woolywoman,

Sorry I should have said I got the first row done, it is the second row I can't get to work out.

Row 2 - chain 5, 1dc into ch1 space, (from previous row) then do a V stitch in the centre of the previous shell from Row 1 . If I do that I end up half way across the row with a V stitch, but there is still the other half of the shell and a triple crochet from Row 1 left sitting there, but it says to turn and ch 2 for Row 3..

I think I have figured it out....the unfinished rows become the picots?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
At this point thete are no unworked sts. You should have put a dc in the ch1 space from previous row and then v st in the chain space in previously made shell. That is the end of the row. There are 2 unworked dc at the end of the row, from the other side of the shell made in previous row. Turn.
The graph shows it much clearer than the written word in this pattern.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have taken a picture of what I have done so far, which definitely doesn't look right to me, but cant figure out how to post it to this thread? I will try another way.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I've found that if I keep going, up to the next pattern repeat (maybe 4 or 5 rows), you can see much better what you are doing and if it's coming out right. As another poster said, the chart is clearer than the written words. Disclaimer: I'm not a fan of crochet charts, but use knitting charts all the time. Go figure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom