Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. Have been knitting for years and am stuck by this.
SSK. Understand that this means to slip, slip, knit but the pattern means this to be a decrease.

Row 13 of mitten pattern.
22 stitches to start
(K1, ssk, k5, k2tog, k1) twice 18 sts
I end up with 20 stitches what am I doing wrong.

Am sure someone on KP will be able to help me.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Mags1956 said:
SSK. Understand that this means to slip, slip, knit but the pattern means this to be a decrease.

22 stitches to start

SSK is Slip 1 stitch, slip the next stitch, put them back onto the left needle, at the same time then Knit them together through back loops.
It is the same as SL1, K1, PSSO. Reduces 2 stitches to 1 and leans to the left to be the opposite to the K2TOG.
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen

·
Registered
595 Posts
I find the same effect can be achieved by slipping one stitch onto the right hand needle and knitting the next stitch then passing the slip stitch over. This too gives a slope to the left and is much easier to do.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your quick replies, knew I was missing something. Why don't the instructions give more detail? Am used to the slip 1 knit 1 pass slip stitch over, and instructions are always clear for this, but the ssk just said slip, slip, knit and nothing else. Thank you clever ladies again for your help. Can now finish these little mittens. Still have something else to learn in finishing them however, Kitchener stitch. Will look at YouTube.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
Mags1956 said:
Thank you all for your quick replies, knew I was missing something. Why don't the instructions give more detail? Am used to the slip 1 knit 1 pass slip stitch over, and instructions are always clear for this, but the ssk just said slip, slip, knit and nothing else. Thank you clever ladies again for your help. Can now finish these little mittens. Still have something else to learn in finishing them however, Kitchener stitch. Will look at YouTube.
Technically :), it means slip one stitch knitwise, slip a second stitch knitwise, then insert the left needle into the front of BOTH of those stitches and knit them together. You can get a similar decrease in other ways, as many have noted.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Mags1956 said:

22 stitches to start

You can google ssk and get help both written and video. This Lion brand site has both.
http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/80.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom