Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Please could you help me out - think I am having a serious "blonde moment" (no offence to all blondes on the forum) :)
I found this pattern for a Rainbow Blocks Baby Afghan Blanket - and it is for Beginner Skill level - which is just up my street :)
but am stumped now that I am near the end of my project - so am going to put the pattern on here and then at the end ask my question - long winded I know, but...............

Afghan In One Piece

Size 4 (3.5mm) needles
Size 5 (3.75mm) needles or size needed to obtain gauge
Tapestry Needle

With smaller needles, cast on 198 sts
and work 8 rows garter st, ending with a WS row.

Change to larger needles and beg pat.

Block Pat

Row 1 (RS):Knit
Row 2: K6, *p18, k6, rep from * across.
Rows 3-20: Rep Rows 1 and 2
Rows 21-26: Knit

Rep Rows1-26 for a total of 11 squares. [Rep Rows 1-20] once.

Change to smaller needles. Knit 8 rows. Bind off all sts.

Finishing
Block Lightly

Now my question is:-

Once completed will my blanket have a total of 13 Block patterns??

Have hopefully attached 2 pics of what my blanket looks like at the moment - I am on the 11th block and am so excited that I have got this far - and am looking forward to getting stuck into the 2nd one, which is going to be in pink - as my niece is expecting twins in April 2013 (a boy and a girl) - hence the sudden knitting frenzy on my part :D

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
I would certainly read this pattern as achieving 13 blocks: first set of 26 rows, plus 11 repeats, plus one repeat of rows 1-20 = 13.

Your work is lovely.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
As I see it, you do a total of 11 block patterns, then do rows 1 - 20, then knit 8 rows and bind off. This means that you would have 11 patterns, then 20 rows in pattern and 8 rows knit. I guess if you have already done more than that it wouln't matter too much,

·
Registered
20,203 Posts
You are on your 11th repeat of the 26 row pattern? According to the pattern you will finish up by doing Row 1-20 and then 8 rows of garter stitch (knit every row)for your border. It will match the beginning of your blanket. You would have 12 blocks long by 8 blocks wide.

Just make sure you end with the Row 1-20 + 8 rows of garter st so that both ends look alike.

·
Premium Member
81,245 Posts
NEATS said:
Hi Everyone,

Please could you help me out - think I am having a serious "blonde moment" (no offence to all blondes on the forum) :)
I found this pattern for a Rainbow Blocks Baby Afghan Blanket - and it is for Beginner Skill level - which is just up my street :)
but am stumped now that I am near the end of my project - so am going to put the pattern on here and then at the end ask my question - long winded I know, but...............

Afghan In One Piece

Size 4 (3.5mm) needles
Tapestry Needle

Block Pat

Rep Rows1-26 for a total of 11 squares.
Rep Rows 1-20 once. =12th square

Finishing
Block Lightly

Once completed will my blanket have a total of 13 Block patterns?? ...
Pattern source

One block = rows 1 through 26
The instructions say to make a total of 11 blocks; that's eleven times rows 1 through 26. Then work rows 1 through 20, and tack on another 8 rows on the smaller size needles.

So, finished it should have 12 blocks in length. If you've already done 13, don't worry or rip, unless you've run out of yarn. Blankets are not all equal in size or proportions.

Yours looks lovely! :thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hilary4 said:
I would certainly read this pattern as achieving 13 blocks: first set of 26 rows, plus 11 repeats, plus one repeat of rows 1-20 = 13.

Your work is lovely.
I immediately agreed with your math but then I started thinking "how would the 13th block fit into the rectangle?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone for the input, your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you also to the writers who complimented me on my work :)

I am currently on Row14 of my 11th Block - so no harm has been done and I haven't done more than I should - thought before I did make a huge blunder would seek out all the help from the experts - and boy am pleased to say "help is the understatement of the year" Thank you, one and all! :)

Could you please clarify that when it says "Bind off all sts" it means cast off completely that you have a smooth edge as like when I started.

Once it is totally completed, I will spread it out properly and take a pic and post it on the Forum.

Once again, many thanks to you all for the help.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree you should have 12 squares when finished, 11 repeats of rows 1 - 26, then 1 square made of rows 1-20. Then a repeat of the 8 rows of garter stitch to finish as begun.

Nice pattern and GREAT knitting!

·
Registered
268 Posts
What a beautiful blanket. I will have 12 Squares by 8 = 96 squares.
I make these blankets all the time.
I start with 155 stitches 4 1/2 mm needle.
9 stitches for the border on each side in garter stitch.
9 rows garter stitch for top and bottom.
I make 7 Squares across with 17 sts in stockinette and 3 sts in garter stitch in between.
After 9 blocks and the 9 rows of garter st the blanket is finished. 36x36 inches = 63 blocks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
NEATS said:
- think I am having a serious "blonde moment" (no offence to all blondes on the forum) :)
Just a point that has nothing to do with the nice pattern. . .

About this blonde thing. . . I'm not offended, though I was blonde before I turned grey. What does bother me about blonde jokes, though, is that they're not even about hair color. They're about women. Thinking about it, have you ever heard a joke about a blonde GUY? Nope. Think of some of them that you've heard and then substitue the word "he" into any place you'd usually say the word "she." Oops -- all of a sudden, there's no humor in the whole situation.

These not only allows men to make jokes against women, it makes it easy for women to make jokes about other women. And, those of us who are blonde can even write ourselves off.

We long ago stopped making self-depracating remarks about how we're only women drivers, etc. Maybe it's time to stop with these "jokes," too?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It looks like 13 to me. You do the first set after the border, repeat 11 times , then do another set + a border. That adds up to 13. Your work is beautiful! Mom and babies will appreciate it very much!
NEATS said:
Hi Everyone,

Afghan In One Piece

Size 4 (3.5mm) needles
Tapestry Needle

Block Pat

Rep Rows1-26 for a total of 11 squares. [Rep Rows 1-20] once.

Finishing
Block Lightly

Once completed will my blanket have a total of 13 Block patterns??

Have hopefully attached 2 pics of what my blanket looks like at the moment - I am on the 11th block and am so excited that I have got this far - and am looking forward to getting stuck into the 2nd one, which is going to be in pink - as my niece is expecting twins in April 2013 (a boy and a girl) - hence the sudden knitting frenzy on my part :D

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
81,245 Posts
Hohjocello said:
It looks like 13 to me. You do the first set after the border, repeat 11 times , then do another set + a border. That adds up to 13. ...
The pattern does not say that. It says, "Rep Rows1-26 for a total of 11 squares. [Rep Rows 1-20] once."

That's 11 squares plus one in the Rows 1-20 for a grand total of a dozen squares.

Or, if you prefer, eleven times rows 1-26 plus one time rows 1-20, which still gives you an even dozen squares.

Besides, there are too many superstitious people for anyone to write or want to make something that has 13 whatevers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom