Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a free knitting pattern for a cardigan.
i don't under stand this. it says bust 32/34" needles uk no
10/3.25mm/us 3) note for 36", use uk no 9/3.75mm/us 5
instead of no. 10 needles. a multiple of 3 sts so what i need to know is what size needle do use to make this size EXlarge
back says useing no. 10 needles. cast on 114 sts so how many sts would i need to make this bigger and what size of yarn could i use thank you
lacy

·
Registered
38,208 Posts
that would be quite a task is EX large perhaps a 42/44 bust? I think more than a size of needles to make it that much larger.

the very skilled people here may be able to help with re sizing with extra stitches............ best of luck

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
How many sizes does the free pattern show.
Is there extra stitches for other sizes in brackets?
Depending on the yarn used I wouldn't want to go up to many sizes but a UK size 8 needle sounds fair enough unless you are using 4ply yarn.
Do you have the pattern name so we can google it?

·
Registered
20,203 Posts
Is this your pattern?

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/clothing/dromana.html

If it is, what they are telling you is size 32/34" bust, use the UK 9 needles and for the 36" bust to use UK 10 needles. In this case, the larger needles account for the larger size, which is probably more 36/38. There is no increase in the number of stitches, just a looser knit. The no. of stitches is divisible by 3, or 114 divided by 3 = 38. That is so the pattern stitch will work out correctly.

As the yarn suggested is a 2-ply fingering, and it is a vintage pattern, you might try the size 9 needles and a sock weight or sport weight and see what measurements you get in a gauge.
This one is 7st to 1", which is for the fingering weight.

I really believe it would be easier on you to find a similar pattern than to resize this one. Vintage sizing may be completely different than our current standards. Just my opinion.

http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/802574/HOLY-MOLY-BOLERO-2-PATTERN.htm

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Agree w/ Pinhappy's "changing..needles..." is 'dangerous'. Although depending on gauge and yarn and your experience, you can work this up or down -- maybe one size or so -- but i would not go any more and that Jmcret05 are all correct in suggesting finding a better more uptodate pattern for your yarn.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I would find a simular pattern that has your size.. its real hard to change things unless you really know what your doing.. That being said I think I would attempt a free form sweater from knittingfool.com they have a sweater wheel that you put your measurements in and it will help you design your own sweater and you can use the yarn you wanted too..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom