Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a pattern and it calls for a stitch I am not familiar with. Can any of you tell me what it means and how to do the stitch or increase.

* Increase one sts by reversed knitting of the thread between the 2 underlying sts.

Thank You
Linda from Iowa

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TammyK said:
I think they may be referring to an M1 stitch where you lift the bar between two stitches and then knit it through the back loop to twist it and close up the hole.
I was wondering about a M1.

The pattern goes

Row 1 k10

Row 2 ( * Increase St) K1 * K2 * K1 * K1 * K1* k2 * K1*K1

The * stands for the increase st.

On Row 2 the increase is the first st.

After that the increase is not at the beginning of a row, but with in the rows.

Thanks so much
Linda

· Premium Member
13,077 Posts
Midwest Knitter said:
TammyK said:
I think they may be referring to an M1 stitch where you lift the bar between two stitches and then knit it through the back loop to twist it and close up the hole.

The pattern goes

Row 1 k10

Row 2 ( * Increase St) K1 * K2 * K1 * K1 * K1* k2 * K1*K1

Thanks so much
Linda
Do they tell you how many stitches you should have after working row 2? Maybe they don't actually mean for you to make an increase at the beginning of the row, but are just telling you that the "*" symbol indicates where you make an increase. (If so, they should have put the ( *Increase stitch) text somewhere in the pattern other than within the instructions for a row, but I think that might be what they did.)

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TammyK said:
Midwest Knitter said:
TammyK said:

The pattern goes

Row 1 k10

Row 2 ( * Increase St) *K1 * K2 * K1 * K1 * K1* k2 * K1*K1

Thanks so much
Linda
Do they tell you how many stitches you should have after working row 2? Maybe they don't actually mean for you to make an increase at the beginning of the row, but are just telling you that the "*" symbol indicates where you make an increase. (If so, they should have put the ( *Increase stitch) text somewhere in the pattern other than within the instructions for a row, but I think that might be what they did.)
You knit 10 then divide them on dpns or a circular.

In a way it has the No. of sts.

Row 3 goes on to say K18. So yes, if you did all the increase I showed in Row 2 that would = 18

Row 4 you do some more K's and increases = 22 sts

Then row 5 K 22 sts.

Row 6 some more knits and increases.

Yes, they do have the * with the increase noted in the general instructions.

I just can't get it through my head how to do a M1 at the beginning of a row. Maybe I am not seeing something right.
Thanks, Again.

· Premium Member
13,077 Posts
If that first increase is to be done before you join in the round, then I am not sure what they want you to do, either. I know of a few other ways to increase before the first stitch or in the first stitch, but M1 is not one of them, so maybe they have something else in mind. Maybe someone else on the forum will have a better idea of what this pattern is really asking you to do.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TammyK said:
If that first increase is to be done before you join in the round, then I am not sure what they want you to do, either. I know of a few other ways to increase before the first stitch or in the first stitch, but M1 is not one of them, so maybe they have something else in mind. Maybe someone else on the forum will have a better idea of what this pattern is really asking you to do.
I really appreciate all you time and help.

I will keep thinking on it. Maybe someone else will have an idea also.

Thanks
Linda

· Registered
4,417 Posts
row 2.[ * increase stitch] k1

I take it as .. k1, increase 1 [as Tammy explains]
k2, increase 1,
k1, increase 1,
k1, increase 1
k1, increase 1
k2, increase 1,
k1, increase 1
k1 this equals 7 increases.
After this the increase will become your 1st working stitch.
Doesn't make any sense to me either.... Have a practice go & see if you can figure it out. Good Luck. Sorry I couldn't help you. Something wrong somewhere..

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scumbugusa said:
Can you share the pattern so we can see what your work is going to look like?
Sorry, I can't share the pattern because of a copyright. I purchased the pattern.

I did get in contact with the designer. She said, the increase in english version is a M1. OH MY !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all you help.
Linda

· Registered
145 Posts
Hi I wonder what article you are working on. If Row 1 starts K10 then your description of Row 2 includes the 10 stitches with 7 increases between =17sts so if your pattern continues to increase stitches you will end up with a big triangle, but if somewhere after Row 2 you decrease stitches you will create a fan effect. Hope you can sort it out. Dawn C. - Australia

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone who has helped me on this increase problem. I finally contacted the designer. I do need to increase with a M1. Was told to join in the round, then do the make one between the last stitch and the first stitch. I will give it a try.

Thanks Again
Linda

· Registered
1 Posts
Midwest Knitter said:
I appreciate all your help. No, not finished. I had to lay it aside for awhile. I needed a break from it. I,ve found sometimes patterns are just not written the best. I will get going again soon.
Thanks
Linda from Iowa
Linda-

What a blessing it was to find this thread!!! I believe I am working on the same pattern, and am stuck with the * increase, also!!! In desperation I googled, "Increase one sts by reversed knitting of the thread between the 2 underlying sts".... and I found this thread. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for posting this. M1? Easy enough.

-Amber

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom