Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a dress for my gd calls for 288 to be cast on. I did that and was happily knitting away about row 5 or 6 I realized it was twisted and had to tear it all out and am now casting on again. What is the easiest way to keep it from twisting?

·
Registered
515 Posts
rainie said:
Some say knitting 2 rows flat then join. It works.
I also had your experience with the twisted rows. Dummy me thought it would be OK when finished. DDUUHHH!!! I agree that doing two or three rows flat and then laying it out to make sure it is not twisted before joining is the safest way. Those rows can be invisibly joined with the cast-on tail later. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I usually lay out my needle on a table where I can spread it out and then make sure all the stitches are facing the same way, and then carefully join. Knitting two or more rows flat also works well. Just make sure to leave a long enough tail to close up the hole at the beginning.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Another vote for knitting flat for a couple of rows first. Not only makes it easier to see that it's not twisted but gives you something to hang on to as you do it and keeps you from having a long loop.
And I feel your pain... have done it... which is why I do this.
Will be looking for pictures!

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Elaine3975 said:
I am knitting a dress for my gd calls for 288 to be cast on. I did that and was happily knitting away about row 5 or 6 I realized it was twisted and had to tear it all out and am now casting on again. What is the easiest way to keep it from twisting?
Knit a few rows flat first then join in the round. Stitch the first few knitted rows together when finished.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Last night I laid out the 200 co stitches making it clear they were all going in the correct order, laid four books on top, left them overnight and it was SO much easier. Yes, stitches were flattened a bit but as soon as I got the first rows two knitted they sprung right up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a set of snap style clothes pins which I use for just this purpose. I hang the pins along the cast on stitches as weights to keep all the stitches facing the same way. It's a little awkward, but it always works since it would take a lot of twisting to throw one of those pins over to the wrong side.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I like to do this as well. I was making a sweater for my hubby & was doing it in the round to the armholes & had to cast on 900 stitches, about a dozen rows into it I realized it was twisted. Ever since, I knit flat for a few rows, then join & stitch up the starting rows.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Elaine3975 said:
I always get hubby to hold the tips of the needles tightly while I hold out the loop and make sure the whole thing is untwisted. But the method of working a couple rows straight, then joining, works well too. Then when you are finished, you can take the tail and sew up those couple of row ends so they don't show.

·
Registered
23,299 Posts
Elaine3975 said:
I assume you are trying to knit the dress in the round. That being the case, with a great many stitches, I would be inclined to knit the first 2 or 3 rows (not rounds)... then join in the round. It is much easier to be certain you have NO twists when you have a few rows of flat knitting rather than trying to be certain you have not twisted that cast on row.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
knit4ES said:
Another vote for knitting flat for a couple of rows first. Not only makes it easier to see that it's not twisted but gives you something to hang on to as you do it and keeps you from having a long loop.
And I feel your pain... have done it... which is why I do this.
Will be looking for pictures!
I am with this whole reply!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom