Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just downloaded a cardigan pattern and one of the abbreviations in the pattern is SSK, does that mean slip stitch knitwise ? also its saying 7 skeins, I only work in gramme balls how many grammes in one skein do you think thanx in advance to you all

· Registered
4,988 Posts

Can't help you with the yarn choice unless we know what yarn is recommended and then we can figure out the yardage. Weight of the skein or ball is not what matters it is the yardage per skein or ball. If you can provide a link to the pattern someone else will jump on with a recommendation, I am sure.

· Registered
10,972 Posts
ultrahiggs said:
OK thankyou, got the ssk in my head now, but THINK, 218 Yyds per skein works out at 500 grammes for the 7 skeins required for the pattern - wot you think :shock:
That depends - the 218 yds per skein doesn't say what the yarn thickness is. 218 yds of worsted yarn weighs about 200 grams. 218 yds of lace yarn would way maybe 10 grams. You need to know more than just the yardage.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
kiwiannie said:
ssk means slip,slip,knit.You slip 2 stitches then knit the next stitch and pass the 2 slipped stitches over the one you just knitted. :lol: :lol:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stitch is another way of working a sl1,k1,psso.

SSK: Sl1 knitwise, sl1 knitwise, put the left needle into the front legs of both stitches and knit them together.

Just check Lion Brand Yarn's website. The have an excellent illustration how-to of this stitch in their "Learning" menu.

· Registered
2,749 Posts
ultrahiggs said:
I have just downloaded a cardigan pattern and one of the abbreviations in the pattern is SSK, does that mean slip stitch knitwise ? also its saying 7 skeins, I only work in gramme balls how many grammes in one skein do you think thanx in advance to you all
The USA tried grams and meters and kilometers - but we couldn't get the hang of it. I still can't! LOL

We're still gallons of gasoline and $4 at that. LOL or more. Your part of the world has been more for decades.

Knitting is less confusing. ;-)

· Registered
5,813 Posts
Marny CA said:
fergablu2 said:
Slip, slip, knit. Slip the first stitch knitwise, slip the second stitch purlwise, use the lefthand needle to knit the stitches together.
I didn't know that the first st is kw and the second slip is pw.

Or is that the pattern being used?
Check the post I made 2 up from yours. Some people like it that way, but there will be a twist on the 2nd stitch. With thicker yarns, like bulky, this will make the stitch rise up off the work instead of lying flat.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
ultrahiggs said:
Hi, the yarn is Cascade Venezia Worsted
if that helps at all
That yarn has 218 yards per skein, per the Cascade website. That is the number you must know, not oz. and grams. That's 199 meters.

· Registered
2,463 Posts
StitchDesigner said:
kiwiannie said:
ssk means slip,slip,knit.You slip 2 stitches then knit the next stitch and pass the 2 slipped stitches over the one you just knitted. :lol: :lol:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is not correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stitch is another way of working a sl1,k1,psso.

SSK: Sl1 knitwise, sl1 knitwise, put the left needle into the front legs of both stitches and knit them together.

Just check Lion Brand Yarn's website. The have an excellent illustration how-to of this stitch in their "Learning" menu.
THIS is definitely correct!! I am working on something and the helpful girl in the LYS showed me!! Good luck. I was glad to be taught.

:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom