Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought wool to make a jacket.
The pattern was not for the wool I was sold.
I did a tension test and changed the needles but the garment has come out way too small.
Does one go according to the tension in the pattern or the tension on the ball of wool?
I will have to unpick it and redo but I am nit sure what to do next.
The wool is called rare essentials boucle.
The pattern calls for sublime.
I was told it would work perfectly.
Tension for wool - 17sts and 26 rows - 10cm
tension in pattern - 14sts and 20 rows - 10cm
Any advice??

·
Registered
712 Posts
Because its boucle it will knit up differently so the best way would be to change needle sizes to get the tension on the boucle wool to match the tension in your pattern. Sounds like you need to go up a size or two.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
When doing a test swatch for tension/gauge...
Your target is the tension gauge of the pattern.
If you have more stitches per inch than the pattern calls for, go up one needle size and make another swatch.
If you have fewer, go down one needle size.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
To check gauge I cast on 10 stitches more than required for the gauge. If the gauge is based on a specific pattern rather than stocking stitch I cast on enough stitches to add 2 more pattern repeats. Then as I knit my gauge I weave a size 10 crochet cotton up each side as I knit my rows. This gives me a right and left edge in the center to measure from. I then count my rows as I knit and add 10 more rows or 2 more pattern repeats. I place a small safety pin at the row I want to start measuring from and then again after I've knitted the number of rows for 4 inches. Unfortunately I have found that only casting on the number stitches and knitting the number of rows for gauge doesn't give a very accurate swatch to measure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have made another swatch and am now knitting on larger needles and a larger size in the pattern so I hope it will fit.
Many thanks.
It is great to get help when needed.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Make a larger swatch--say 6 or 8 in. square. Sometimes the little ones don't show the difference in gauge. They might be off by only 1/8 in. But across the back of a sweater, that could end up being a couple of inches too much or too small.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's very good advice.
Thanks so much
Is the rule always to follow the tension instructions in the pattern and disregard what it says on the ball of wool??

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,399 Posts
brenco63 said:
Thanks. The wool shop said it would knit up the same so I listened to them.
Their prime consideration is to SELL. They're stupid to steer you wrong, because you probably won't want to go there again. Their loss! Not all yarn shop owners are resposible people. Sad. I hope you can salvage the project/yarn.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
The only accurate tension is from the swatch you make. You begin with the correct yarn category, then swatch with needles until you find the needle size that gives you the correct tension for that pattern.
I'm a loose knitter and I almost always go down 1 or 2 needle sizes from the suggested needle size. Usually, but not always, which is why I always swatch if fit is involved. If you knit more tightly, you may need to go up in needle size so your garment is large enough. Needle sizes are the variable, because the pattern is written for a specific yarn or yarn weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom