Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a tea cosy and cannot for the life of me I cannot work out this pattern. I would appreciate you help.
This is the pattern over 12 rows.
garter stitch 3 rows, last row is WS.
begin pattern:
Using C1, work 4 rows SS , starting with a knit row.
Row 5: Using MC, K2, *K into MC st 4 rows down, drop C1 st from each of the last 4 rows, K3, repeat from * to end with K2, instead of K3.
row 6: Knit. Using C1 work 4 rows of stocking stitch.
row 11: Using Mc. K4, *Knit into last MCst (4 rows down), drop C1st from each of the last 4 rows, K3, repeat from * to end with K4 , instead of K3.
row 12: knit.
Thank you.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
What color did you cast on with? Sounds like main color, so this is how I see it:

Cast on Main color then garter stitch 3 rows, last row WS
Color 1 work 4 rows, starting with a knit row

In row 5 MC, k2, * K into MC st. 4 rows down = last row of garter before changing color.

If you are not sure, go to youtube and key in knit below, in your case you will be knitting 4 rows below. I hope I am not confusing you more.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
I'm not sure of exactly what your difficulty is, so I apologise if I am explaining the obvious.

C1 is you first contrast colour so your first four rows of the pattern are in this colour and are:
Row 1 knit
Row 2 purl
Row 3 knit
Row 4 purl

Row 5 you change to your main colour (MC): K2, then for stitch 3 and every 4th stitch across your row put your needle into the stitch in the same colour that is down in your garter stitch border and knit it, dropping off the contrast colour stitch and letting it unravel down to where you have just caught the stitch - so you will have 4 bars of contrast colour across your work at the back and as you knit across you will have little gathers or puckers every four stitches.
Row 6 knit
Rows 7-10 in first contrast again as rows 1-4
Row 11: Main colour as row 5 but the dropped stitch pattern moves across two stiches to alternate with the first set.
Row 12 knit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone. Yes, the owl pattern is the one I am using. My problem is with the instruction to drop C1 which will let the stitch unravel to the row 4 down leaving a ladder. The pattern does not show a ladder behind the long stitch. My friend brought this to me and between us we got into a right muddle. Also, I found that the MC and CC find themselves at opposite ends of the knitting and I have to cut ends every 4 rows or take the yarn across the knitting. Am I counting the rows incorrectly? I expect this really is obvious but my brain is not working this out.

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
maybelle01 said:
Thank you everyone. Yes, the owl pattern is the one I am using. My problem is with the instruction to drop C1 which will let the stitch unravel to the row 4 down leaving a ladder. The pattern does not show a ladder behind the long stitch. My friend brought this to me and between us we got into a right muddle. Also, I found that the MC and CC find themselves at opposite ends of the knitting and I have to cut ends every 4 rows or take the yarn across the knitting. Am I counting the rows incorrectly? I expect this really is obvious but my brain is not working this out.
I am not familiar wih the pattern but I don't think you should have to cut the yarn so often. Are you knitting on double points? If so, is there anywhere in the pattern that says "slide"? If so, when finishing a row in one color and the other color is at the other end, you would just slide the work to the other end of the double point and start knitting from there again. As I said, since i don't know the pattern that method may not apply here. I am doing a fisherman's knit sweater in a lot of colors and that is what you do in that case.

·
Registered
21,445 Posts
maybelle01 said:
Your pattern: http://www.thatslife.com.au/Article/Mums-Club/Real-Craft/Owl-Teapot-Cosy

I believe the pattern of the cover is a mosaic stitch, which can have several designs. Here is a link to a page that shows your pattern. If you read through the process she uses, it seems to make more sense. You might look for other sites on mosaic stitch.

http://lanahobby.blogspot.com/2011/01/stitch-pattern-of-mosaic-knitting-with.html

or look at a similar one:

http://www.giftseshop.com/articles/knit-stitch-patterns

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
You have even numbers of rows in each colour: 4 and 2, so you won't be at the opposite end for a colour change. You can just carry the unused colour up the side. Rows 1-4 and 7-10 in CC and 5-6 and 11-12 in MC.

The pattern won't show the ladder in the pattern because it is just one stitch and is covered by the stitch you knit down the four rows.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, again. I had a coffee, a wee rest, followed your suggestions and the pattern makes sense now. It is a pretty pattern and I think I will do it next time with black main colour and bright colours for the contrast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom