Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting a 'baby cocoon' for someone and they want me to put in a couple of openings so they can have it on the baby when the baby is in the car seat. It's a simple pattern worked in a basketweave pattern. I have tried just casting off in the spot I would think the strap from the car seat would need to go through, and then casting on again in the next row. But I don't like how it looks. I hope I have made this understandable... does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this slit 'neater'? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Its frustrating because I think this is probably a simple thing, but I haven't figured it out. Help!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
You can always do a simple crochet around it when complete.
Or a blanket stitch if you can't crochet.
Sue

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Might be easier to put legs in the sack instead of making a hole through which the car seat belt buckle has to be threaded every time the baby is put in or out. Sort of a pair of high top overall with feet in them.

·
Registered
20,218 Posts
Here's a link to some shown on Craftsy.com. Perhaps it will help with the idea and more on the placement of the "hole"

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/crocheting/accessory/cuddly-car-seat-cocoon/21288

The car seats have a strap that goes between the legs and I would think that would be difficult with a cocoon. Personally, I like the idea of car seat blankets and would think they would be useful much longer. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Cathryn 2ed said:
Might be easier to put legs in the sack instead of making a hole through which the car seat belt buckle has to be threaded every time the baby is put in or out. Sort of a pair of high top overall with feet in them.
My thoughts too.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Without the car seat how can you put holes in the cocoon? Or did they give you a diagram?
You can make long buttonholes by k 2 together, YO twice, k2 together. On the next row knit one yo and purl the other one, makes a nice long hole, not too big and knitting stretches.

Carol J.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
LissaAnne said:
I am knitting a 'baby cocoon' for someone and they want me to put in a couple of openings so they can have it on the baby when the baby is in the car seat. It's a simple pattern worked in a basketweave pattern. I have tried just casting off in the spot I would think the strap from the car seat would need to go through, and then casting on again in the next row. But I don't like how it looks. I hope I have made this understandable... does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this slit 'neater'? Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Its frustrating because I think this is probably a simple thing, but I haven't figured it out. Help!
Lissa Ann, I've done a flat car-seat blanket in checkerboard patt. (from a magazine). It had a giant horizontal buttonhole, as you described. It & border were edged in reverse single crochet/crab stitch. Trick is to have the two line up.

P.S.: My mom said, he doesn't need it--they have heat in the car. She uses it on the floor, when babysitting my nephew, & wants to darn the hole. :-(

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
First time they are stuck in traffic and have to turn off the car or in a fender bender, baby will need the extra cover. And it is there for when they leave the warm car. I don't think a baby can be too warm when taken outside in cold weather. They won't need it in summer but there is no reason for a baby to get a chill. I hope she doesn't sew the hole shut.
Babies and children have to be in the back seat of a car, the heater doesn't throw much heat back there, baby's welfare is important here.

Carol J.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!!! So many good ideas! I would try it with 'legs', but this is a special order, so I am making it the way that the purchaser wants it. I thought about crocheting around the opening too, but it still looks 'sloppy' to me. Maybe I am being too critical of my work, but I want it to be really good, so maybe I can have some other requests. ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the link!! This helped me get an idea of where to put the opening. Hopefully it will work out well. The snowman cocoon is adorable!!! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aww...you never know when they might need that car seat blanket. It makes me a little sad when someone does something to something I made especially for them.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you!!!! I never heard of a one row buttonhole before. I love it! I think this is going to work the best for me. I tried it and it looks nice and neat, and it was easy to do. Great link!!! :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess the way the baby is put into the carseat has changed now. According to my DIL, the baby/child in the carseat must have nothing between them and the straps. No jackets or blankets. It is supposed to be much safer that way. Live and learn. :wink:

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
How will a baby be kept warm in a car seat without outer coverings? I can't imagine putting a baby in a car seat without a jacket or snowsuit in a Wisconsin winter. How can your DIL keep a blanket over the child,it will slide off. We managed to take our children in the car on trips and didn't even have the fancy car seats they have today, how did they ever grow up?
Last week we saw how a child without a jacket released his arms from the strap of the car seat on television, didn't take much for that to happen. A person needs a class in hooking a baby or child into a car seat before taking them somewhere. Too many buckles and straps.
Do as your customer wants and let them handle the situation.
A niece of ours had to pay a fine of $75 in Pennsylvania because her son screamed all the while he had to sit in a car seat, she released him and had him on her lap when a police officer saw the child. This happened 35 years ago.

Carol J.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom