Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to knitting and a neighbor just gave me her left over pieces of yarn to learn with. I think some are big enough to make baby items with, however most of the yarn is very fine (fingering?). Any suggestions of things I could make using fine yarn? I am interested in baby things so I can donate them to charities. I love Knitting Paradise as I am learning so much and am amazed at the help people are willing to share with others. Looking forward to your response. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
You will need to google- a lot !!
If yarn is true lace weight it will be a 1 in weight charts-
If you want to make a baby item , you will need to double or triple up, unless you want to do a lacey style blanket.
A great place to go for any knitter for research in patterns is Knitting Pattern Central, which is a library of FREE knitting patterns-once you get to the website-you can specify search-and go to Scarf, Hats, Baby Items, Afghans etc etc
there are many websites that offer free or otherwise but this is my go to site first
also Bernat and Patons have a plethera of free patterns-all you have to do is become a member, ie-email address and password to log in to site-advice -use a password NOT the same as password for actual email-and make it the same for every site-I learned the hard way but hey-I learned-
also Ravelry is an awesome site for ideas and patterns BUT some are free and some $$$$$$ --ok ?
hope this helps :):)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
knittingismyhobby said:
I am new to knitting and a neighbor just gave me her left over pieces of yarn to learn with. I think some are big enough to make baby items with, however most of the yarn is very fine (fingering?). Any suggestions of things I could make using fine yarn? I am interested in baby things so I can donate them to charities. I love Knitting Paradise as I am learning so much and am amazed at the help people are willing to share with others. Looking forward to your response. Thanks.
Maybe fingering yarn its too thin for you right now--usually using a 4 ply makes it easier to hold on the needles and easier to accomplish something with--BUt whatever yarn you use--remember that only God can create something perfect so have fun, and Good Luck

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Nana89 said:
knittingismyhobby said:
Maybe fingering yarn its too thin for you right now--usually using a 4 ply makes it easier to hold on the needles and easier to accomplish something with--BUt whatever yarn you use--remember that only God can create something perfect so have fun, and Good Luck
I agree. But I know there is a 'table' out in the internet world that I believe says, If you double fingering yarn (hold 2 strands from 2 balls together through out the pattern, it is equaled to a worsted weight. If you find a pattern for worsted weight and you only have the thin yarn on hand, you can hold 2 strands together thus giving you a worsted weight equivalent. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
When I just started to knit, a lady gave me a large bag of leftover yarn and I was very grateful. What I found, however, was that it made things much more difficult as it was not labelled with yardage, or there was not enough to complete a project. I passed most of it on to an experience knitter who was doing charity knitting and was able to estimate amounts and know which yarns could be combined. I think you will enjoy knitting more if you find a pattern you like and buy some sale yarn in a colour you love and in the recommended weight. It wouldn't have to cost much and it will be much easier than trying to double your yarn.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
:idea: The "Purple Kitty" site has many vintage patterns for babies that use different weights of yarn. Try there.
As an alternate, start a blanket using the "Ten-Stitch Afghan" [in a square or circle] method or the "Log Cabin" method.
Either of those two methods are adaptable to many yarns and are suitable for odd amounts of yarn or just scraps!

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
knittingismyhobby-Fingering is sometimes also referred to as baby yarn. There are tons of patterns out there for baby items knit in fingering/baby weight yarn, especially the older designs. Now days, designers are designing for heavier weights than fingering, such as sport, DK, and worsted as these weights will knit up faster than fingering and now days, knitters want faster results. Google/Yahoo search baby knits patterns for fingering weight yarn and you'll get lots of sites to look at. Good knitting! Denise

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom