Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls, I sent out a plea for help a few days ago as my machine was not selecting the correct needles with the punch card. I ordered a new sponge bar which arrived today and I'm soo disappointed because it is still not selecting the correct needles. Please can anyone tell what I should try next as I was so looking forward to try something new. As I explained before the machine is old but it used to work the punch card perfectly. Any ideas???

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If it were me, I'd contact the manufacturer or a repair man that works on knitting machines. It sounds like, to me anyway and not being too familiar with them, that something may be out of alignment.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Hi Ann,

Have you given your machine a deep clean lately? There may be a build up of old oil and fibres under the needlebed, and around the punch card selection mechanism. If you have not cleaned it recently, you will really need to take out all the needles and clean inside the needle bed, take off the back plastic covers and remove all the lint/fluff from under them. I put a post about how to go about this on a question about a Brother 890. Perhaps you will be able to look at that.

Sue.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Hi Ann,

Sorry to hear you and your machine are not friends!

When I had problems with the needles not being selected properly, I found working the selection mechanism by engaging the switch on the carriage and moving the carriage back and forth gradually loosened up everthing. I had to put fresh grease on the selection drums (the things the timing belt fits round) and that helped too.

I have just bought myself a Brother 864 and as I was answering your question, thought I'd check the punchcard selection on it as I haven't been able to use it yet. Having switched the knob to KC I tried pulling forward a few needles and guess what - they didn't stay selected but kept changing position with each pass of the carriage. I then tried card 1 and the same thing happened. I removed the carriage, moved the change knob several times and checked it was moving the cams under the carriage. Having replaced the carriage and switched it back to KC, worked it over the needles several times, it is now selecting needles for card 1 properly. The mechanism does get stiff when not used for a while and by working it without any yarn threaded, it may be possible to get yours working. Card 1 is a good one to try as you can see easily if the right needles are being selected. If after trying this, you are still having problems, it would suggest that your machine needs to be looked at by a qualified engineer.

I do hope you can get it sorted and you become friends again!

Sue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom