Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a paid pattern for child to adult hat.. Top of hat has me stumped on Round 2. Says to K1, P1, (k3,P1), K1.. This is with 60 stitches There is no asterisk after the parenthesis. This is all there is. Do I do the first two stitches, then repeat the parenthesis to hopefully last stitch of K1... Yes I have attempted to contact the designer for clarification, but no answer.. Thanks and Blessings, Cathy

·
Registered
21,411 Posts
Even if it is a paid pattern, you can give the name of the pattern, or where you found it, and the designer's name. Sometimes a picture explains everything.

If the hat is knit flat, the k1 at the beginning and end could be for the seam. It seems that you are to end up with a k3, p1 rib, that is started with the p1 and the k1 at beginning and end are for seaming. Only a guess until we can get more info.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Round one is a mystery. It just says: We will decrease in pattern, when we K2 on the previous round we will do P2Tog. When we did P2, we will do K2Tog. The decrease stitches are separated by K1.. First the word previous is confusing as no where in the pattern is there a K2. Nor is there from round 2 on.. I. Guess my original question is still what do I do with the (k3,P1)???

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
sometimes the designer gives all kinds of instructions before she/he writes the actual pattern. Are you reading all the instructions before starting? maybe you are still in the part that describes all of the necessary techniques you'll use as you work the pattern.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope I am literally at the end of the hat, getting ready to finish off.. This is frustrating as the hat isn't all that cheap.. I have also found that designers write thinking you know what their thinking. I've had amazing designers always write a pattern out in detail in hopes that a beginner will have confidence in trying her patterns.. Just saying....

·
Registered
446 Posts
The picture of the hat shows the crown is knitted in stockinette stitches. Why not just do a standard crown decrease? First row with 60 stitches, knit 8, knit 2 together. Next row knit 7, knit 2 together and so on.

This is a cute pattern!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, actually I did another decrease on the first hat but it wasn't very complimentary.. I do like the double band as I'm making these for the Navajo school children in Tuba City.. They do work up fast..Have found that using a worsted or even light weight because it's doubled, but the top I use an Aran weight.. Actually I've made a bunch of 1898 hats, you could just leave off the ears and it would give you the same effect and its free. Thanks for your help.. Cathy

·
Registered
21,411 Posts
Sent you a PM about the K3, P1 question.

On the crown decreases, I believe it means where you have 2 knit stitches together, you will P2tog. The next round, you will have 2 purled stitches together (side by side) and you will k2tog there. I goes on to say that they are separated by a k1.

You may be able to use the crown decrease from this pattern.
http://www.knitting4peace.org/assets/pdf/patterns/website-Pattern-3X1-Rib-Knit-Hat.pdf

I would start the decreases with the linked pattern inst. on Round 5, which works with your 60 st.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I find Ravelry folks most helpful. Check out others who have made this hat and send them a message; you will get many responses. Also try searching the Revelry groups and forums for discussions on this hat or the designer. Even if it's a few years old, you may still get good info in the forums. That's a shame the designer did not respond to you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom