Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on this site for a long time and am amazed at all of the info that you all supply. I am having trouble with this one pattern.
Row 1: (RS) K1,*K1,K1b; rep from * to last st, K1
Row 2 & 3: K1,*K1b,K1;from * to last st, K1
Row 4: Rep Row 1
Rep Rows 1-4 for Pat.
Where I am having trouble is I am sure that I am doing the 2nd row right, but it is as if I am doing the same st. on top of each other. It just doesn't feel right and I can't figure out where I am going wrong. Like K1b on top of K1b and k1 on top of K1.
I did go on You Tube but the video really didn't show me much.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am so sorry this is my 3rd try to get this message written. It is from an OLD Susan Bates flyer #17702 for a Brioche Vest. I don't know if I can scan and send a picture or not. I tried doing it in a 6"x6" swatch and it was still not very clear to me. Any suggestions would really be helpful. Thank you so much for responding. sharon

·
Registered
20,175 Posts
grandmadof4 said:
I have been on this site for a long time and am amazed at all of the info that you all supply. I am having trouble with this one pattern.
Rep Rows 1-4 for Pat.

I suspect you are not doing the K1b correctly. Do you have an abbreviations guide on your pattern?

It is K1 in the stitch below (K1B). Check out a video and see it that helps.
Also note that Row 1 is K1, K1b and Row 2 & 3 are K1B, K1 (opposite)

http://www.chemknits.com/2010/04/how-to-knit-one-below-k1b.html

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
It looks to me like this would be a perfect brioche stitch if you were doing it in the round.

The way it's written, if you're working back and forth, flat, you'll be knitting into the same stitch on the first row when you're on your 200th row.

Is this a pullover vest? Knitted in the round? If so, the directions seem like they would be right. If not, there's something wrong.

·
Registered
20,175 Posts
Just to add a little more information. The pattern seems to be a Brioche Rib pattern.

The one is the link below is the same, although the repeats are a little differently written. The K1 border stitch is incorporated into the repeat. It doesn't change anything. Just make sure you are doing the K1B correctly and the border stitch, then the repeats. You'll do fine.

http://www.bernat.com/sg_kn_briocherib/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent a reply but my computer likes to play games, so if the other reply is floating around in cyber space I will try again. I didn't mention that this is a open vest that is knit in Patons "Canadiana" yarn on sz 11 needles and it is with 2 strands of yarn. It is a Brioche Vest and I noticed that the Brioche site showed a little differance in the 2nd row. I really like the pattern in the vest. I not only have a stash of yarn but also of patterns and I was going through them and found this vest dated 1984. It is fun to see how some of those sweaters, scarfs and many other things are making a 2nd, or more, comeback. Thanks so much and I will continue to try to get it figured out. I have frogged back to the 1" ribbing.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
jmcret05 said:
grandmadof4 said:
Rep Rows 1-4 for Pat.

I suspect you are not doing the K1b correctly. Do you have an abbreviations guide on your pattern?

It is K1 in the stitch below (K1B). Check out a video and see it that helps.
Also note that Row 1 is K1, K1b and Row 2 & 3 are K1B, K1 (opposite)

http://www.chemknits.com/2010/04/how-to-knit-one-below-k1b.html
Thanks for the link - it's a great video showing how to do the k1b. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom