Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My daughter (14) is a huge fan of the BBC series Sherlock. HUGE fan. :) She asked if I could please make her the sweater that John Watson wears in one of the episodes. Lo and behold, I found a pattern on Ravelry. It looks like it is very well written and informative:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dr-watsons-cabled-crew-neck

The pattern designer has it in two sizes, one in DK wool for a size 36-38 inch chest, and in Aran wool for a size 40 inch chest. I really need it for a size 32 inch chest. A little bulky is not a problem, but I think a size 36 might be pushing it a bit. My concern is that I can't really just decrease the number of stitches since the pattern is critical to it being "THE Watson Jumper". Did I mention she's a HUGE fan? :)

Any thoughts on wool/needles that might make this a better fit for a petite fan? Any help is greatly appreciate.

Cheers, and happy knitting and crocheting!

Diane

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
This would not be easy. You could do a swatch using finer needles and yarn, see how many stitches to the inch you get, then multiply by desired chest measurement. If it isn't close to the smallest size pattern you have a problem.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
O...k,

There are those... "V"-shaped ornaments - 3 of them on each site - if you take off 2 stitches - actually one bump at each "V" end - would that make enough for the size difference? Even being THE fan she would probably not notice?..

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
This sweater is VERY FORMFITTING. Does she normally wear her sweaters that way? If I were knitting for anyone in my family, I would want more ease as none of them want anything that body hugging; therefore, the smaller size given here would probably be just right.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone - thank you SO much for your helpful responses. I now have the confidence to give this a go! Peggy Beryl - you are right. She does not need it form fitting, and considering she is shy and it was originally worn by a man, a bit bulkier is fine. I think combining that fact with HandyFamily's suggestion to shrink the Vs by a stitch will work out great! If she doesn't like it, I can always wear it. :) We're just about the same size now. But I'm still taller than my 4 year old!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to all of you, I truly appreciate all of the suggestions and input. I'll let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone! I just wanted to let you know that I have finally finished this sweater! It didn't take too long once I got started, but it was quite a ways down the queue. I decided to knit the pattern as written and everything fit fine except there was too much sleeve. So I tore them down and redid them with fewer increases. It was thanks to all of your help and support that I had the confidence to give it a go. I posted pictures here: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-143309-1.html#2742883

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom