Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from New Zealand. I am using a pattern which requires me, every second row for eight rows, to 'increase by 1 stitch each side of the two middle stitches". I thought I was doing this correctly by knitting twice into the stitches on either side of the two middle stitches, but apparently not so. I end up with the correct number of stitches, but I don't get the nice ridged shaping which shows on the printed pattern. How else should I do this? I would be really grateful for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
20,197 Posts
Here's a link that looks like it may work for you. Scroll down to the last increase picture.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATtheresa.html
It says:
To make a double increase using this increase, mark a center stitch then knit into the front and back of the stitch just preceeding the marked stitch and into the marked stitch itself on each row in which you are to increase.

Another way is to do M1L and M1R so they lean the right way.
http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/Make_1_Increase__D67.html
You might want to look at these increases to see if one looks like your pattern.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
To get your two stitch ridge you would have to knit twice into the stitch before the two stitches and into the second of the two stitches. That will put your purl bumps immediately either side of where you want your ridge.

Welcome from Dunedin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who has responded to my request. I'll try all the various options and see which one works. Regarding the stitch markers, Chrissie, it's a good idea, but I'm pretty sure I'm finding the right middle stitches, it's just the way I'm increasing that seems to be at fault. I'm interested that both Hilary4 and jmcret05 have said that I should be knitting front and back into the stitch preceding the two middle ones, but then also into the second of those two? I've been increasing in this way into the stitch preceding and the stitch following the two middle stitches, which is what I thought the instructions were telling me. It seems this is wrong? Anyway, many thanks for your welcome to KP (I've been lurking in the background for a few weeks now; I really like this forum), and also for the suggestions. As I said, I'll try the options and see what works.
Hilary4, I lived in Dunedin for nearly 40 years until four years until we retired just 'up the road' to the Waitaki Valley. I am just taking up knitting again after many years (two more grandchildren on the way), and am finding that I have forgotten much of what I once knew (which wasn't actually that much, after all!). :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gosh, I'm feeling part of this family already! Thanks, everyone. I haven't had a chance yet to try out the different ways of getting the stitch effect I want - we have a house guest and I don't feel that I can ignore her while I'm concentrating on the needles!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am learning so much from this forum. I must admit I thought knitting was knitting, I did not realise that there are so many different ways of knitting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom