Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what t4b and t4f mean, I am assuming it is for doing cables ie place 2 stitches at the front or back and knit the next 2 stitches first, but I can't see any cables on the picture of the gloves I am knitting. thanks for any help in advance :)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You are right - it is a cable. Instead of two the front and knitting though (which is usually C4B or C4F) you purl stitches. It doesn't look like a traditional twisty cable then, but rather a diagonal line.

T4B - Slip two stitches onto a cable needle and hold it to the back.
Knit two stitches off of the main needle.
Bring the yarn to the front and purl the two stitches off the cable needle.

T4F - Slip two stitches onto a cable needle and hold it to the front.
Purl two stitches off of the main needle.
Bring the yarn to the back and knit the two stitches off the cable needle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This is a most helpful response to Garianne's question. Thanks diziescott - learned something new myself!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I've seen this one before. I believe the T stands for twist. These are common abbreviations for a mock cable where the stitches are twisted but not actually crossed like you would with a regular cable using a cable needle.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You ladies are making me blush! :oops: It is knitting in my avatar - a blanket I made as a wedding gift for friends who got married last November. I loved it so much I'm now making one to keep. :) (I'm pretending it's for my husband so I don't feel selfish spending that much time knitting for me, but I really think of it as mine! Shhhhh....)
http://www.caron.com/projects/ss/ss_lace_panel_throw.html

I do have my pattern notes and checklist I made to help me out with the blanket - if anyone is interested, just PM me your email address.

·
Registered
499 Posts
diziescott said:
Glad to hear it! It is a neat stitch.

I didn't take the pictures though, no time to swatch. I found those online at http://newstitchaday.com/category/knitting/ the New Stitch A Day site. There are some great video tutorials there too, it's a nice resource.
It is a great site isn't it? I have a folder on computer where I file each days stitch.

:D :-D :lol:

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Avalon37 said:
diziescott said:
Glad to hear it! It is a neat stitch.

I didn't take the pictures though, no time to swatch. I found those online at http://newstitchaday.com/category/knitting/ the New Stitch A Day site. There are some great video tutorials there too, it's a nice resource.
It is a great site isn't it? I have a folder on computer where I file each days stitch.

:D :-D :lol:
I do the same thing with a folder to put each day's e-mail in. And they have also this past month started classes. I have taken one and it was great! Live, online, interactive ... just like actually being present in a class :)

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
gma11331 said:
Doesn't "t" stand for twist?
Yes, t4b means to twist four stitches to the back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom