Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what I am supposed to do. The instructions below are where I am. The last stitch from my bind off is at the cuff of the sleeve. What is the 2nd stitch I am to use to Knit 2 and cont knitting to next marker? Is the stitch I leave on the one that is being referred to as the 'last stitch' to place on left needle? This makes no sense to me. Help please.

Bind off leaving the last stitch on the needle. With right sides together, sew the sleeve closed being
careful to close all of the holes at the underarm. Place the last stitch on the left hand needle. Knit 2 tog
and knit across the back of the sweater to the next marker. Place the stitches for the back of the sweater
on a holder.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
My understanding is that you should have one st left from your bind off, plus all the remaining sts for the back and the other sleeve.
Put the bind off st onto left needle,(all sts on one needle now) now you can k2tog, knit remainder of row to next marker, which should place you at final sleeve.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try this hennie, but it sounds like it will connect the bottom cuff of the sleeve to the upper part of the back? Just read a blog that this has been a source of contention with many knitters and it was suggested you just finish it off?? Thanks for your advice. Robin

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
I used that same pattern and it made no sense to me either. I found a YouTube video that made sense to me and used the "how to do it" of that video and the written pattern stitches and numbers from that pattern. It seems some patterns have you knit across the front, cast off for the sleeve or put on holders, knit across the back, cast off for the other sleeve or put on holders, and then knit the other front. You then go back and pick up stitches for the sleeves and knit those.

Some patterns have you knit the front and then put those on holders and then knit the sleeve and then put the front stitches back onto the needles and go on to knit the back, put those stitches on holders while you knit the next sleeve, go back and put the holder stitches on the needles and continue on to knit the last front. Then you continue the fronts and back to finish the sweater. This video looked like the easiest way to me, so that is what I decided to do. I even knit the two sleeves at once so they are the same size. You must have a separate ball of yarn to do this. Take a look at this video and see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I made this sweater, but didn't follow the instructions. However, this is what I think is intended: using the last stitch of the bind off, with a crochet hook you "sew" the seam together-bottom up-with a single crochet. This would leave you with the last loop on the hook to transfer to the left needle to continue across the back to the other sleeve.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yes, I agree with abc123retired.
I just finished a 5 hour sweater and this is what I do. It's from the boy's version 5 hour sweater and I do all my top -down baby sweaters this way. Then the sleeves are done and no sewing when you are finished. Just add buttons.

When you have done 1 sleeve this way by crocheting the seams together, knit across the back and do the other sleeve. Then you will be ready to do the body of the sweater.
Works for me !
JoanCB

·
Registered
952 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
I think as the time I was doing mine I read some comments on the difficulty with this pattern. It might have been on ravelry. Also, I defy anyone to do this sweater in 5 hours.
Really !!!!!!
My last one was done in 3 hours, but then I knit fast and have done about 15 of them this year.
Joan

·
Registered
11,154 Posts
JoanCB said:
Joy Marshall said:
I think as the time I was doing mine I read some comments on the difficulty with this pattern. It might have been on ravelry. Also, I defy anyone to do this sweater in 5 hours.
Really !!!!!!
My last one was done in 3 hours, but then I knit fast and have done about 15 of them this year.
Joan
I congratulate you. You have obviously got that pattern down to a science. Have you made changes to the pattern?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
JoanCB said:
Joy Marshall said:
Really !!!!!!
Joan
I congratulate you. You have obviously got that pattern down to a science. Have you made changes to the pattern?
Only thing is I don't do the eyelets for the neck. Instead I make buttonholes. as needed. I knit the boys version for boys and the fancy one for girls... depends on the color yarn. I donate to
hospitals in Calgary, and make hats and booties to match.
I also make hats for newborns. It's such a nice way
to help, and uses up bits of my stash. I also use other patterns from KP and Ravelry.
I love knitting and have been giving away layettes for 70 years!!!
Happy Knitting,
Joan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom